Help with acceleration due to electric field

In summary, an electron is accelerated by a constant electric field of magnitude 280 N/C. To find the acceleration of the electron, the equations E=qF and F=MA can be used. However, it is important to properly account for units in order to obtain the correct answer. In this case, using grams for the electron mass instead of kilograms was causing the incorrect answer. After fixing this oversight, the problem was easily solved. It is important to always double check units when solving physics problems.
goWlfpack

Homework Statement

An electron is accelerated by a constant electric field of magnitude 280 N/C.
(a) Find the acceleration of the electron

Homework Equations

E=qF
F=MA

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so it seems that i should use the equations above to solve the problem, however, the values that I am getting for the elementary charge and mass of an electron do not give me the correct answer. help??

Physics news on Phys.org
goWlfpack said:

Homework Statement

An electron is accelerated by a constant electric field of magnitude 280 N/C.
(a) Find the acceleration of the electron

Homework Equations

E=qF
F=MA

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so it seems that i should use the equations above to solve the problem, however, the values that I am getting for the elementary charge and mass of an electron do not give me the correct answer. help??

What numbers are you using for what?

I'm using -1.602*10^-19 C
for the charge

and 9.1095*10^28g
for the mass

goWlfpack said:
I'm using -1.602*10^-19 C
for the charge

and 9.1095*10^28g
for the mass

Are you using your units correctly? You gave me grams for the electron mass which is right but you need to properly account for it with the Force from Coulombs of charge.

LowlyPion said:
Are you using your units correctly? You gave me grams for the electron mass which is right but you need to properly account for it with the Force from Coulombs of charge.

im not quite sure how that would effect it? what units should i be using?

goWlfpack said:
im not quite sure how that would effect it? what units should i be using?

You can use whatever units you wish, except that Newtons for instance are kg*m/s2 and are measured against kilograms of Mass, and not grams. Just so you are properly accounting for that is my point.

thanks. ha i feel really stupid. that was an easy fix. talking about overlooking something. thanks again! :)

goWlfpack said:
thanks. ha i feel really stupid. that was an easy fix. talking about overlooking something. thanks again! :)

Don't feel bad. Units are a very common oversight.

Pretty smart guys can make the simplest mistakes and oversights.:

http://www.cnn.com/TECH/space/9909/30/mars.metric/

1. What is acceleration due to electric field?

The acceleration due to electric field is the rate at which an electrically charged particle changes its velocity when subjected to an electric field. It is a vector quantity and is measured in meters per second squared (m/s²).

2. How is acceleration due to electric field calculated?

The acceleration due to electric field can be calculated using the formula a = qE/m, where a is the acceleration, q is the charge of the particle, E is the electric field strength, and m is the mass of the particle.

3. What is the direction of acceleration due to electric field?

The direction of acceleration due to electric field is dependent on the direction of the electric field and the charge of the particle. If the particle has a positive charge, it will accelerate in the direction of the electric field. If the particle has a negative charge, it will accelerate in the opposite direction of the electric field.

4. What factors can affect acceleration due to electric field?

The acceleration due to electric field is affected by the strength of the electric field, the charge of the particle, and the mass of the particle. It is also affected by the presence of other electrically charged particles in the surrounding space.

5. What are some real-life applications of acceleration due to electric field?

Some real-life applications of acceleration due to electric field include particle accelerators used in scientific research, cathode ray tubes in old television sets, and the propulsion of charged particles in particle accelerators or ion thrusters used in space exploration.