Electrical Motor Book for Automotive Robots?

In summary, the conversation is about finding a book that explains how to calculate the required motor power for an automotive robot, specifically for lifting a robot arm. The power is determined by multiplying the torque and RPM after converting units.
Observables
Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a book on electrical motors that clearly explains and has plenty of examples on how to calculate the required motor power/rating for a automotive robot.

I'm trying to work out the required power to lift a robot arm, then somehow find the correct electric motor.

Hope this makes sense.

Yours

Obs

Engineering news on Phys.org
Observables said:
Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a book on electrical motors that clearly explains and has plenty of examples on how to calculate the required motor power/rating for a automotive robot.

I'm trying to work out the required power to lift a robot arm, then somehow find the correct electric motor.

Hope this makes sense.

Yours

Obs

The power is the torque times the RPM, after converting the appropriate units.

1. What is an electrical motor and how does it work?

An electrical motor is a device that converts electrical energy into mechanical energy. It works by using the interaction between a magnetic field and electric current to generate rotational motion.

2. What are the different types of electrical motors used in automotive robots?

The most common types of electrical motors used in automotive robots are DC motors, AC motors, and stepper motors. DC motors are commonly used for low-speed applications, while AC motors are more suitable for high-speed applications. Stepper motors are typically used for precise positioning in robotics.

3. How do I select the right electrical motor for my automotive robot?

The selection of an electrical motor for an automotive robot depends on various factors such as speed, torque, power requirements, and control system. It is important to consider the specific needs of your robot and consult with a motor expert for the best choice.

4. What are the key components of an electrical motor?

An electrical motor typically consists of a stator (stationary part), rotor (rotating part), commutator (for DC motors), bearings, and brushes (for DC motors). The stator contains electromagnets, while the rotor contains permanent magnets or electromagnets.

5. How do I maintain and troubleshoot an electrical motor in an automotive robot?

Regular maintenance of an electrical motor in an automotive robot includes cleaning, lubricating, and checking for any wear and tear. Troubleshooting may involve checking the power supply, connections, and motor temperature. It is best to follow the manufacturer's guidelines for maintenance and consult a professional for troubleshooting.