Curvilinear coordinates from orbits

In summary: If we change the groups so that the orbits are not transverse, we might not be able to get a diffeomorphism.
mnb96
Hello,

I have the following problem where I have two groups of transformations [itex]R_\alpha[/itex] (rotation) and [itex]S_\lambda[/itex] (scaling) acting on the plane, so that the orbits of any arbitrary point x=(x0,y0) under the actions of [itex]S_\lambda[/itex] and [itex]R_\alpha[/itex] are known (in the former case they are straight lines from the origin; in the latter case they are concentric circles with center in 0).

From this information, how can I "build" a system of curvilinear coordinates, where the coordinates are exactly the parameters (α,λ) of the transformations?

PS: I know that the answer leads to the log-polar coordinates, but I need a procedure to arrive at it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The rotation group is diffeomorphic to the circle S^1, while the scaling group is diffeomorphic to the real line. It is clear that if you take the standard coordinates θ on S^1 and r on R^1, then the map

(-pi,pi) x (0,infty)-->R x S --->R^2
(θ,r)------------->(Rθ,Sr)--->(Rθ[itex]\bullet[/itex]Sr[itex]\bullet[/itex](1,0)

is a diffeomorphism onto R²\{the x<=0 ray} commonly referred to as "the polar coordinates on R^2"! ("[itex]\bullet[/itex]" stands for the group action)

But there is no Log anywhere in this construction so perhaps this is not what you are after?

Hi quasar987,

thanks! your explanation was pretty clear. I simply didn't think of making such observations in terms of diffeomorphisms. And by the way you are right, the log-polar is not important in this case. I was just a bit confused.

One more thing I would be very interested to know. If I replace the rotation and scaling groups with two different and not well-known groups of transformations, can we do the same? What is the procedure to find a system of curvilinear coordinates in the plane, when we know the orbits of the points under the action of the two groups?

Well, in general, no, the analogue of the map we created for general group is not going to be a diffeomorphism. For instance, if instead of S^1 and R^1, you take two R^1's (both acting in the same way on R²), then we see fairly easily that the differential will be at every point non surjective. Similarly if we take two S^1's. The key for the above example to work was that the orbits are transverse.

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your problem with me. It seems like you are trying to construct a system of curvilinear coordinates based on the orbits of points under rotation and scaling transformations. This is a very interesting problem and I will do my best to provide a helpful response.

To begin, let's consider the orbits of points under the rotation transformation R_\alpha. As you mentioned, these orbits are concentric circles with center at the origin. This suggests that we can use the distance from the origin, r, as one of our coordinates. The other coordinate, θ, can be the angle that the point makes with the positive x-axis. This is because as the point moves along the circle, the angle θ changes.

Next, let's look at the orbits of points under the scaling transformation S_\lambda. These orbits are straight lines from the origin. This suggests that we can use the distance from the origin, r, as one of our coordinates again. However, the other coordinate, φ, should be the angle between the line and the positive x-axis. This is because as the point moves along the line, the angle φ changes.

Now, if we combine these two sets of coordinates, we get (r,θ,φ). This is known as the log-polar coordinates, as you mentioned. To arrive at this system, we used the orbits of points under the transformations R_\alpha and S_\lambda.

I hope this helps you understand the procedure for constructing curvilinear coordinates from orbits. Let me know if you have any further questions or if I can be of any more assistance. Best of luck with your research!

1. What are curvilinear coordinates?

Curvilinear coordinates are a system of coordinates that are defined by a set of curves rather than straight lines. They are often used in physics and mathematics to describe the position of an object in space.

2. What is the significance of curvilinear coordinates in orbits?

Curvilinear coordinates are particularly useful when studying orbits because they allow for a more accurate and intuitive representation of the curved paths that objects follow in space. In traditional Cartesian coordinates, the orbit of an object may appear as a complex and convoluted path, but in curvilinear coordinates, the orbit can be described as a simple curve.

3. How are curvilinear coordinates derived from orbits?

Curvilinear coordinates are often derived from the equations of motion of an object in orbit. By analyzing the forces acting on the object and the path it follows, a set of equations can be developed that describe the position of the object in terms of the curvilinear coordinates.

4. What are some examples of curvilinear coordinates used in orbit calculations?

Some common curvilinear coordinates used in orbit calculations include polar coordinates, spherical coordinates, and elliptical coordinates. Each of these coordinate systems has its own advantages and is used for different types of orbits.

5. Are curvilinear coordinates necessary for all orbit calculations?

No, curvilinear coordinates are not always necessary for orbit calculations. In some cases, simpler Cartesian coordinates may be sufficient. However, for more complex orbits and accurate calculations, curvilinear coordinates may be necessary to provide a more precise description of the orbit.