Viscosity & Drag: Linear Coeff & Medium Density

In summary, density has a negligible effect on the viscosity of linear drag. The force on an object in linear drag is dominated by viscous effects.
Vaal
The linear drag coefficient is a function only of object size and medium viscosity. Multiply sources say viscosity of air is independent of pressure and density. How can the linear drag be independent of density of the medium? It seems like less dense medium should mean fewer collision and in turn less drag force. What am I missing here?

Physics news on Phys.org
the coefficient may be independent of density but the drag force depends on density. F=0.5 * density * speed^2 * drag coefficient * area. So yes, in denser medium there is higher drag force. ( source: wikipedia, i took the formula from there )

It is dependent on density. Stokes' Law shows drag explicitly as a function of terminal velocity, and that terminal velocity is a function of the density. It even shows this in the article you linked.

The article I linked may have not been the best example, I think it is referring to the force at terminal velocity (notice that a general v is no were in the expression). Classical Mechanics by Taylor explicitly says drag force is b*v and in problem 2.2 says b is given by 3pi*n*D where d is diamante of a sphere and n is the viscosity.

Right well in the case of Stokes flow, the velocity is so low that it is assumed that all drag is viscous in nature, which means that the density has no part in it. It only affects the terminal velocity. With such a low flow velocity, viscous effects are much, much more significant than pressure and density effects.

Consider the nondimensional Navier-Stokes equations:

[tex]\frac{\partial u_i^{*}}{\partial t^{*}} + u_j^{*}\frac{\partial u_i^{*}}{\partial x_j^{*}} = -\frac{\partial p^{*}}{\partial x_i^{*}} + \frac{1}{\textrm{Re}}\frac{\partial^2 u_i^{*}}{\partial x_j^{*} \partial x_j^{*}}[/tex]

Stokes flow assumes that [itex]\textrm{Re} \ll 1[/itex], so the dissipation term, [itex]\frac{\partial^2 u_i^{*}}{\partial x_j^{*} \partial x_j^{*}}[/itex], will be an order of magnitude greater than the pressure term. In other words, the forces on the object in question are going to be dominated by viscosity with negligible contribution by pressure/density effects.

When you point out the mathematics I guess it does make sense. I don't have a lot of dynamics experience and I guess I am just having trouble intuitively getting used to the idea that the number of interactions (which is proportional to the density) would not change the viscosity.

Thanks for your help.

1. What is viscosity?

Viscosity is a measure of a fluid's resistance to flow. It is a property that describes how thick or thin a fluid is.

2. How is viscosity measured?

Viscosity is typically measured using a viscometer, which is a device that applies a known force to a fluid and measures the resulting velocity. It can also be measured indirectly by observing the time it takes for a fluid to flow through a small opening.

3. What is the linear coefficient of viscosity?

The linear coefficient of viscosity, also known as dynamic viscosity, is a measure of a fluid's internal resistance to flow. It relates the shear stress applied to a fluid to the resulting rate of deformation.

4. How does medium density affect viscosity and drag?

Medium density has a direct effect on both viscosity and drag. In general, higher density fluids will have higher viscosity and higher drag forces. This is because the particles in a denser medium are more closely packed, resulting in more friction and resistance to flow.

5. What is the relationship between viscosity and drag?

Viscosity and drag are closely related, as they both involve a fluid's resistance to flow. Higher viscosity fluids will have higher drag forces, as they require more energy to overcome their internal friction and move through a medium. However, drag can also be affected by other factors such as the shape and speed of the object moving through the fluid.