Can someone confirm that this is how time dilation works?

In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of spacetime, which is made up of 4 dimensions - 3 of space and 1 of time. Time is considered an extra dimension for calculations, but it can also be seen as an "actual" extra dimension by some. The speed of light is always the same in spacetime, and an observer's perception of time and space can vary based on their speed. The name of the quantity that space and time are shared between is not explicitly mentioned, but it could possibly be the space-time interval.
chestycougth
I'm not sure if the way I understand it is correct or if it is slightly inaccurate, so I will just write it as I understand it and hope you can all my point out my errors.

As I understand it, there are 4 dimensions. 3 of space and 1 of time (first question. Is time actually considered an extra dimension?) which are collectively known as spacetime.
Your speed in spacetime is always equal to the speed of light (I will use 300,000,000 m/s for the sake of simplicity.)
If you are not moving at all in the first 3 dimensions then you will be moving at 300,000,000 m/s in time (second question. are distance units the right unit of measurement in this question?). If you are going at 150,000,000 m/s then time will go twice as slow as it would be as normal.

Also, what is the name of this quantity that space and time are shared between?

Physics news on Phys.org
chestycougth said:
As I understand it, there are 4 dimensions. 3 of space and 1 of time (first question. Is time actually considered an extra dimension?) which are collectively known as spacetime.

Yes, this is correct. Time is one of the 4 dimensions.

chestycougth said:
Your speed in spacetime is always equal to the speed of light (I will use 300,000,000 m/s for the sake of simplicity.)

This is one interpretation, but it can lead to problems if you try to take it too far.

chestycougth said:
If you are not moving at all in the first 3 dimensions then you will be moving at 300,000,000 m/s in time (second question. are distance units the right unit of measurement in this question?).

For the value you have given for the speed of light, you would measure distance in meters, like normal, and time in seconds, like normal. Relativity physicists often like to use units in which the speed of light is 1, such as time in years and distance in light-years, or time in seconds, and distance in light-seconds, or distance in meters and time in units of 3.3 nanoseconds (the time it takes light to travel 1 meter).

chestycougth said:
If you are going at 150,000,000 m/s then time will go twice as slow as it would be as normal.

Speed is relative; it depends on the observer. To yourself, you are always at rest, and you always perceive your time as flowing normally. Someone else, who saw you moving past them at half the speed of light, would see your time flowing more slowly.

Btw, the time dilation factor is given by the reciprocal of [itex]\gamma = 1 / \sqrt{1 - v^2 / c^2}[/itex]. For [itex]v = 1/2 c[/itex], this gives [itex]\gamma = 2 / \sqrt{3}[/itex], so an observer who saw you flying past them at half the speed of light would see your time appear to flow at 0.866 of its normal rate (the rate it appears to you to flow).

chestycougth said:
I'm not sure if the way I understand it is correct or if it is slightly inaccurate, so I will just write it as I understand it and hope you can all my point out my errors.

Time can certainly be considered an extra dimension for calculations. See for a discussion:
http://bartleby.com/173/17.html
http://bartleby.com/173/a2.html

Because of that, there are many people who consider it to be an "actual" extra dimension.
Most of the rest has, I think, already been appropriately answered.
[..] Also, what is the name of this quantity that space and time are shared between?
Not clear what you mean; space-time interval perhaps?

1. What is time dilation?

Time dilation is a phenomenon where time passes at different rates for objects in motion relative to each other. This is due to the principles of special relativity, which states that time and space are relative to the observer's frame of reference.

2. How does time dilation work?

According to the theory of special relativity, time dilation occurs because as an object moves faster, its clock slows down relative to a stationary observer. This means that time passes more slowly for the object in motion compared to the observer.

3. Can you give an example of time dilation in action?

One famous example of time dilation is the twin paradox, where one twin stays on Earth while the other travels into space at near the speed of light. When the traveling twin returns, they would have aged less than the twin who stayed on Earth, due to the effects of time dilation.

4. Is time dilation proven to be true?

Yes, time dilation has been confirmed through numerous experiments and observations, such as the famous Hafele-Keating experiment in 1971. Additionally, the principles of special relativity have been successfully applied in many practical technologies, such as GPS systems.

5. Can time dilation be reversed?

No, time dilation cannot be reversed. Once an object has experienced time dilation, it cannot go back to its original state. This is because time dilation is a result of the fundamental principles of the universe and cannot be altered or reversed.