Beauty in the Universe - A Debate

• Thread starter maximus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Beauty
In summary, this conversation is about whether or not the truth at the end of the universe must be beautiful. Some say that it is, while others believe that it is not necessarily so.

do you believe that the grand theory of everything must be beautiful?

• Yes, our world is beautiful and so its equation must also be

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • No, not necessarily

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • i have no idea

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
maximus

please have patience with me here! i know this question has probably been asked a dozen times before to you guys but i find it so amazingly intersting what other people think about this. i myself have not yet made up my mind completely. to begin, i do not in any way, shape, or form believe that the universe has any natural or inert value or property of GOOD or EVIL or BEAUTY. i believe (and I'm sure I'm not the only one) that these are all superficial terms we as emotional beings asign to objects. yet still, why do so many scientists (although they may doubt in the existence of universal BEAUTY or a GOD) feel that it must be beautiful? i even feel it often. how can it all not be beautiful? but then i realize that in the end, calling it beautiful or not is a pointless thing to do. it is how it is whether we believe it to be a certain way or not. aesthetic properties are pointless. so, basically, my entire post is pointless. comment, please.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
in the eye of the beholder

for me it's that old saying, but please would you tell a young child that because she's has a MARK on her nose that is she ugly (i hope the answer is NO to that)

thats my answer

I voted not necessarily. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and what is beautiful to TOE physicists may be outlandish to the rest of humanity, at least for a generation or two. Look at Lobos Motl's posts about higher string theory, in which he is an expert. He waxes dithyrambic over its beauties, but other people, even physicists, call it ugly.

One characteristic a TOE woould have that physicists understand but most people haven't discussed is uniqueness. Internally, the theory will HAVE to be just what it is, and nothing else. That's beauty of a kind, whatever the equations turn out to be.

I chose "Not necessarily" also. AFAIC, the ToE should be (not necessarily will be, but should be) elegant, but that is not necessarily "beautiful" (since beauty is indeed a subjective notion). The only reason I'm biased toward the "elegant" ToE is because I really admired Einstein, and he always believed that the equations to describe reality should be elegant (as were those that he used in Relativity).

I voted that it must be beautiful, because I feel that theorists, in searching for their theory of everything, hold it as an implicit criteria that the truth at the end must be beautiful. By beauty here, I sort of refer to a kind of desirable, quality kinda like the beauty of good art. If the final theory turned out not to be beautiful, then I do not think many would consider it to be a "final" theory at all. Truth is beauty?

1. What is "Beauty in the Universe - A Debate" about?

"Beauty in the Universe - A Debate" is a discussion about the concept of beauty in the context of the universe. It explores the different perspectives and interpretations of beauty in the natural world and how it relates to science and our understanding of the universe.

2. Who participates in the debate?

The debate involves scientists, philosophers, and artists who bring their unique perspectives and expertise to the topic of beauty in the universe. They may come from different fields such as astronomy, biology, philosophy, and art, but all share a curiosity and interest in exploring the concept of beauty.

3. What are some arguments for the existence of beauty in the universe?

Some argue that beauty is inherent in the laws of nature and can be observed in the symmetry, patterns, and complexity of the universe. Others believe that beauty is a subjective experience and can be found in our emotional and aesthetic responses to the natural world. Some also argue that the pursuit of understanding beauty in the universe drives scientific exploration and discovery.

4. Are there any opposing views to the existence of beauty in the universe?

Some may argue that beauty is a human construct and does not exist in the natural world. They may believe that our perception of beauty is shaped by cultural and societal influences, and is not a fundamental aspect of the universe. Others may also argue that focusing on beauty in the universe detracts from more important scientific pursuits.

5. How does the debate contribute to our understanding of the universe?

The debate encourages us to think critically about the concept of beauty and its role in our understanding of the universe. By exploring different perspectives and arguments, we can gain a deeper understanding of the complex and multifaceted nature of beauty and its relationship to science. The debate also highlights the interconnectedness of various disciplines and how they can inform and enrich one another.