Understanding the Precision vs. Accuracy of Spectrofluorimeters

• Thread starter Beer-monster
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Paper
In summary, the spectrofluorimeter may be precise, but not accurate, because of fluctuations in the measurement.
Beer-monster
I was reviewing a past paper question which asked me to describe a spectrofluorimeter, which is okay. Then it asked to explain why such an instrumental method may be precise but not accurate and I was lost.

If an instruments measurements are precise, shouldn't they be accurate?:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose I use some device 7 times, and I get measurements of 3.01, 3.00, 2.99, 3.00, 3.01, 3.01, and 2.99. The precision of this device is pretty good right?

But the thing I'm trying to measure is really 2.54. My device is not very accurate, is it? :frown:

So does that mean a spectrofluorimeter would give reasonably consistent results, but not neccessarily the right one? Is this because of the interferences associated with the method or some other problem.

Seems like an odd thing to happen in such a popular method

I don't know anything about that particular device.

not always. "Accurate" is referring to how close the measurement is to the "actual" value. "Precise" is in reference to the reproducibility of the experiment, measurement after measurement values may not deviate from the average, having a low standard deviation, yet this average may be far off from the "actual" value. The analytical method employed is precise, but not accurate in this case. The spectrofluorimeter may give consistent values, and the s.d. may be relatively of low value. However, the average of the consistent measurements of the same parameter may actually be far off from the actual value, e.g. if you were to forget to subtract for the blank intensity.

Think about a spectrum obtained from a spectroscopic measurement...the linewidth and possible shifts in wavelength peaks. Linewidth may be due to random errors, but an analytical method may not be accurate if such systematic errors are not accounted for. For instance, shifts in wavelength due to solvent polarity. and as you mentioned some spectral interferences, such as emissions from another substance, may alter the accuracy of the measurements.

I get it. So in the case of the spectrofluorimeter, the analytical process is affected by changes in intensity of the source and tempertaure and pH fluctuations. Therefore though the results given might be similar, these effects may make the reading different from the actual value.

Thanks guys

Fluctuations usually affect the precision, that is the standard deviation in error analysis. The things you mentioned pertain precision, although technically we wish to focus specifically on the variance in the analytical method. If I have time, I'll browse through a I. Analysis text for examples. The key here is the reproducibility of the measurements, precision, e.g. sources of noise thermal noise, electrical noise, source fluctuations etc...accuracy, for instance, has to do with the detection limit and the dynamic range (when you're ascertaining the concentration). e.g. one instrumental method may be more accurate over another in the determination of the concentration of a element/compound over a desired dynamic range.

1. What is a spectrofluorimeter paper?

A spectrofluorimeter paper is a type of paper that is specifically designed for use in spectrofluorimeters, which are instruments used to measure the fluorescence of a substance. The paper is coated with a fluorescent material and is used to calibrate and test the accuracy of the instrument.

2. How does a spectrofluorimeter paper work?

A spectrofluorimeter paper works by emitting light when exposed to specific wavelengths of light. This emitted light is then measured by the instrument, allowing for the calibration and accuracy testing of the instrument.

3. What is the purpose of using spectrofluorimeter paper?

The purpose of using spectrofluorimeter paper is to ensure the accuracy and precision of the instrument. By using a known and reliable source of fluorescence, the instrument can be calibrated and any errors can be identified and corrected.

4. How is spectrofluorimeter paper different from regular paper?

Spectrofluorimeter paper is different from regular paper in that it is coated with a fluorescent material, whereas regular paper is not. This allows for the paper to emit light and be used as a calibration standard in spectrofluorimeters.

5. Can spectrofluorimeter paper be used for other purposes?

While the primary purpose of spectrofluorimeter paper is for use in spectrofluorimeters, it can also be used for other purposes such as in fluorescence microscopy or as a standard in other types of spectroscopy. However, it is important to note that the paper is specifically designed and calibrated for use in spectrofluorimeters and may not be suitable for other applications.