What Happens When a Copper Square is Heated Uniformly?

• Thread starter azn_enigma
  • Start date
In summary, heating a square cut out of a copper sheet will result in a larger square with a larger area.
azn_enigma
A square is cut out of a copper sheet. The square is heated uniformly. As a result, it turns into

a) a square with a larger area
b a square with a smaller area
c a rectangle with a larger area
d a rectangle with a smaller area

i fink its a =(

wut do u guys think?

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with a. A square heated uniformly should just get uniformly larger.

berkeman said:
I agree with a. A square heated uniformly should just get uniformly larger.
Well now, wait a minute. Do they mean the copper square that got cut out, or the hole left in the sheet when the square was cut out? If the latter, then I'm not sure what the answer is...

1. What is the melting point of copper?

The melting point of copper is 1,984.32°F (1,084.62°C). At this temperature, solid copper will turn into a liquid state.

2. Will the copper square change in size when heated?

Yes, when heated uniformly, the copper square will expand due to thermal expansion. This is because the heat causes the copper molecules to vibrate and move further apart, leading to an increase in volume.

3. How does the color of the copper change when heated?

As the copper square is heated, it will gradually change from its original reddish-brown color to a darker brown or black color. This is due to the oxidation of the copper, forming a layer of copper oxide on the surface.

4. What happens to the electrical conductivity of copper when heated?

The electrical conductivity of copper decreases as it is heated. This is because the increased thermal energy causes an increase in the movement of electrons, leading to more collisions and less efficient flow of electricity.

5. Is there a limit to how much the copper square can be heated?

Yes, there is a limit to how much the copper square can be heated. If the temperature is increased beyond the melting point, the copper will turn into a liquid and cannot be heated any further. Also, if the temperature is too high, the copper can start to oxidize and form a brittle and non-conductive layer on its surface.