Can someone give me a hint please for a log question

• Thread starter i-love-physics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Log
In summary, the problem asks to solve for Y in terms of X using the given equations and properties of logarithms. The solution involves subtracting 2log_5X/ log_53 from both sides, multiplying everything by -1, and simplifying with known properties. The final answer is y = 1/25x^2/log_53.
i-love-physics

Homework Statement

Solve for Y in terms of X

Homework Equations

2log_5X/ log_53 - log_5Y = 2

The Attempt at a Solution

I know all the properties of logs, i just don't know how to apply them to this problem.

The answers in the book are . y = 1/25x^2/log_53

When i am studying, i can get through 99 percent of questions, but i always hit this 1 questions once every hour which i cannot answer and it just plays on my mind all day. :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Well for this part
[tex]\frac{2\log_5 x}{\log_5 3}[/tex] Subtract that from both sides. Then Multiply everything by negative one and simplfy with the properties you already know.

Sure, I'd be happy to give you a hint for this log question. Remember that when you have a fraction inside a log, you can use the power property to bring the exponent out in front of the log. Also, when you have a difference inside a log, you can use the quotient property to separate the logs. Try using these properties and see if you can simplify the equation to solve for Y in terms of X.

1. What is a log question?

A log question is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the logarithm of a given number. Logarithms are the inverse of exponential functions and are commonly used in various fields of science, such as chemistry, physics, and biology.

2. How do I solve a log question?

To solve a log question, you can use the basic properties of logarithms, such as the product rule, quotient rule, and power rule. It is also helpful to have a scientific calculator to assist with calculations.

3. Can you give me an example of a log question?

Sure, an example of a log question would be: "Solve for x: log2 (x) = 3". To solve this, you would use the power rule and rewrite it as 23 = x, giving you the answer of x = 8.

4. Why do we use logarithms in science?

Logarithms are useful in science because they help us express very large or very small numbers in a more manageable way. They are also used in various scientific equations and models, such as the pH scale in chemistry and the Richter scale in seismology.

5. Where can I learn more about solving log questions?

There are many online resources and textbooks available that provide step-by-step explanations and practice problems for solving log questions. You can also consult with a math or science tutor for additional help and guidance.