Stress Concentration, Stepped Shaft

In summary, the conversation involves a request for a reference that shows stress concentration for a stepped shaft in tension with a conical interface. It is suggested to use a book called "Peterson's Stress Concentration Factors" but it is not available in the library. Someone offers to check and share the information, but later realizes it only applies to torsion and notches, not shoulder fillets. Ultimately, a sketch is shared for the desired configuration and a request is made for someone to model it and run FEA on it.
Q_Goest
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Most texts have stress concentration factors for a stepped shaft in tension that has a radius where the smaller shaft meets the larger one such as this reference:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PR-BV60/Materials/7.jpg

I'm looking for a reference (perhaps "Peterson's Stress Concentraton Factors" - I don't have a copy) that would show the stress concentration for a stepped shaft in tension with a conical interface between the two shafts. If you have a chart or set of equations, please post.

Thanks! :smile:

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes, I think that book should have it, if you can find it in a library.
If you just want the number, you could use Solid Works or Solid Edge that can do this automaticly.

Unfortunately, it's not in our library. I'm hoping someone has a copy and can post the pertinant page. Thanks.

I have it Q. Let me take a look and see. The conical reduction won't result in a perfectly sharp edge, will it?

EDIT: Peterson's has that design criteria, but in torsion only. I'd be happy to pass that chart along (assuming we don't have any copyright issues with the forum). If you want to pass along the geometry, it's shouldn't be too difficult to model it up and run FEA on it.

EDIT again: I just saw your sketch. I was looking at notches and not shoulder fillets. Let me look again.

Last edited:
Hi Fred,
I'm thinking of something along the lines of the configuration as shown on the attached. Note that load is an axial one (not shown on sketch).

Thanks,
Q

Attachments

• Scan001.pdf
    8.5 KB · Views: 264
Q. You have mail.

What is stress concentration?

Stress concentration is a phenomenon where the stress in a material is increased at a specific point due to the presence of a geometric irregularity or notch.

What is a stepped shaft?

A stepped shaft is a type of shaft that has a change in diameter along its length, resulting in a stepped or multi-level surface.

Why is stress concentration a concern in stepped shafts?

Stress concentration in stepped shafts can lead to a decrease in the strength and fatigue life of the shaft, making it more susceptible to failure.

How can stress concentration in stepped shafts be reduced?

There are several methods to reduce stress concentration in stepped shafts, including smoothing out surface irregularities, changing the geometry of the step, and using materials with higher strength and ductility.

What are the common factors that contribute to stress concentration in stepped shafts?

The shape and size of the step, the material properties, and the loading conditions are all factors that can contribute to stress concentration in stepped shafts.