?, exponentiation, multiplication, addition, ?

In summary, there are a series of operations that build on each other: exponentiation, multiplication, addition, succession, tetration, etc.
Loren Booda
What simple operations, if any, precede or succeed the series ". . . exponentiation, multiplication, addition. . ."?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
..., hexation, pentation, tetration, exponentiation, multiplication, addition, ...

Maybe succession is a good candidate for the next operation in the sequence. I don't think there's much after that, though.

Are you trying to remember PEMDAS?

- Warren

chroot,

More like: multiplication represents repeated additions, and exponentiation represents repeated multiplications, etc. (Thanks for the PEMDAS blast to my algebraic past, though.)

Loren Booda said:
More like: multiplication represents repeated additions, and exponentiation represents repeated multiplications, etc.

Yep, that's the list I gave you.

Tetration ([itex]\uparrow\uparrow[/itex]) is repeated exponentiation, right associated:

[tex]a\uparrow\uparrow b = a^{a^{...^{a^a}}}[/tex]

where there are [itex]b[/itex] [itex]a[/itex]'s on the left side.

[tex]2\uparrow\uparrow 2 = 2^2 = 4[/tex]
[tex]2\uparrow\uparrow 3 = 2^{2^2} = 2^4 = 16[/tex]
[tex]2\uparrow\uparrow 4 = 2^{2^{2^2}} = 2^{16} = 65536[/tex]

Pentation ([itex]\uparrow\uparrow\uparrow[/itex]) is repeated tetration, also right associated, etc.

Succession is adding 1, so you might say that adding a and b is like adding 1 to a, b times.

EDIT: I use Knuth uparrow notation for the higher operators. This is not strictly speaking a universally agreed upon thing, so you might have to explain it to pretty much anyone you show it to.

Last edited:
Moo,

That's what I sought. "Succession" as you define it seems reasonable to me. My guess is that the next step involves fractals.

1. What is exponentiation?

Exponentiation is a mathematical operation that involves raising a number to a power. This means multiplying the number by itself a certain number of times. For example, 23 means 2 multiplied by itself 3 times, resulting in 8.

2. How is multiplication different from addition?

Multiplication is a mathematical operation that involves repeated addition. It is represented by the symbol "x" or "*". For example, 2 x 3 means 2 added to itself 3 times, resulting in 6. Addition, on the other hand, is the mathematical operation of combining two or more numbers to get a total sum.

3. What is the order of operations for solving equations?

The order of operations, also known as PEMDAS (Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division, Addition and Subtraction), is a set of rules that determines the order in which mathematical operations should be performed. This rule ensures that equations are solved consistently and correctly.

4. What is the difference between exponentiation and multiplication?

The main difference between exponentiation and multiplication is that exponentiation involves repeated multiplication, while multiplication involves repeated addition. In other words, exponentiation is a more advanced form of multiplication.

5. How can I use these mathematical operations in real life?

These mathematical operations are used in various real-life situations. For example, exponentiation is used in calculating compound interest, multiplication is used in calculating the total cost of items, and addition is used in calculating the total score of a game. These operations are also used in problem-solving and critical thinking tasks.