Why is the velocity of an H2 molecule after colliding with a 60nm photon so low?

In summary, the conversation discusses the final velocity of a H2 molecule after colliding with and absorbing a photon of wavelength 60nm. The final velocity is calculated to be 3.5 m/s, which is considered slow due to the high energy of the photon. The speaker questions the logic behind this and wonders if there is something wrong with their understanding. They also ask if there are any further questions about the internal excitation energy of the H2 molecule after the collision.
physgirl
So if a H2 molecule collides with and absorbs a photon of wavelength around 60nm, I find the final velocity of H2 molecule (assuming momentum's conserved in collision) to be around 3.5 m/s, which I think is very small... I would have thought that since the wavelength of the photon is so small, the energy of it is pretty high, which means H2 should move much faster than just 3.5 m/s after the collision... it just doesn't make sense to me conceptually, I guess. Is there something wrong with my logic?

Physics news on Phys.org
Only in questioning your answer, which is correct.
The velocity is slow because H2 is so massive.
Preconception is the mother of confusion.

Hi. Just curious. What text did this question come out of? Are there any further questions about the internal excitation energy of the H2 molecule after the collision?

1. What is a "Photon + H2 collision"?

A "Photon + H2 collision" is a type of interaction between a photon (a particle of light) and a hydrogen molecule (H2). During this collision, the photon transfers energy to the H2 molecule, causing it to vibrate or rotate.

2. What is the significance of studying "Photon + H2 collision"?

Studying "Photon + H2 collision" helps us understand the fundamental processes of energy transfer and chemical reactions. This knowledge can be applied to a wide range of fields, including atmospheric science, astrophysics, and energy production.

3. How does the collision between a photon and H2 molecule occur?

The collision between a photon and H2 molecule occurs when the photon's energy matches the energy needed to excite the molecule. This can happen through various mechanisms, such as absorption or scattering.

4. What are the potential outcomes of a "Photon + H2 collision"?

The potential outcomes of a "Photon + H2 collision" depend on the energy of the photon and the state of the H2 molecule. The molecule may absorb the photon's energy and enter a higher energy state, or it may scatter the photon in a different direction.

5. How is "Photon + H2 collision" relevant to real-world applications?

Understanding "Photon + H2 collision" is crucial for many real-world applications, such as developing more efficient solar panels and improving our understanding of atmospheric processes. It also plays a crucial role in the production of hydrogen fuel, a clean and renewable energy source.