Good University for Chemical Engineering

In summary, the conversation discusses a Caribbean student's desire to attend a university in the United States for chemical engineering. Some suggestions for good universities with accredited programs are Florida Institute of Technology, Howard University, Georgia Institute of Technology, Drexel University, Hampton University, Widener University, University of Delaware, and Rice University. The importance of personal effort in gaining a better education and the potential for research opportunities are also mentioned.
Andresx90
I'm a Caribbean student in my final year of high school and want to go to a University in the United States. Could anyone give me an idea of how good the engineering programs, notably chemical are at these schools:

Florida Institute of Technology
Howard University
Georgia Institute of Technology
Drexel University
Hampton University
Widener University

Also could someone suggest other good universities which offer chemical engineering. I'm not looking for THE best engineering school out there just one which is acredited and respectable.

Physics news on Phys.org
University of Delaware is very good (i.e that's where Dupont is based).

You might want to look at Rice University.

You're looking for ABET accreditation. List:

http://www.aiche.org/Students/Careers/AccredUniversities.aspx

All the colleges you listed have accredited ChemE programs. My personal opinion is that "how good" the program is matters less to you the student than many people think going into college. If it's accredited, it meets a certain basic standard with regard to the material covered. If you want to get a better education than just that, it's going to mostly come down to what you do to learn more than just what's required for class. Most research universities are supportive to some degree with helping undergraduates get research experience or study topics beyond the required material, but this is stuff you have to go out and find and commit to on your own.

That said, a nice thing to compare is the percentage of how many students continue to graduate studies...can't hurt to talk to undergraduates there to find out how easy it is to get research funding either. ;)

1. What are the top universities for Chemical Engineering?

The top universities for Chemical Engineering are Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Stanford University, University of California-Berkeley, University of Texas-Austin, and University of Cambridge.

2. How do I choose the right university for Chemical Engineering?

When choosing a university for Chemical Engineering, consider factors such as the program's curriculum, faculty, research opportunities, industry connections, and alumni network. It is also important to visit the campus and talk to current students to get a feel for the overall environment and culture.

3. Can I get a job in the chemical engineering industry after graduating from a good university?

Yes, graduating from a good university for Chemical Engineering can greatly increase your chances of getting a job in the industry. These universities often have strong industry connections and their graduates have a good reputation among employers.

4. How long does it take to complete a Chemical Engineering degree?

The duration of a Chemical Engineering degree can vary depending on the university and the program. Typically, it takes about 4-5 years to complete a Bachelor's degree and an additional 1-2 years for a Master's degree. A Ph.D. can take an additional 3-5 years to complete.

5. What types of jobs can I get with a Chemical Engineering degree?

A Chemical Engineering degree can lead to a variety of job opportunities in industries such as pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, energy, consumer goods, and environmental engineering. Some common job titles include chemical engineer, process engineer, research scientist, and product development engineer.