Would a black hole create a wormhole in space?

In summary: This is a hotly disputed issue and I will not try to get into it here.)In summary, black holes are not points of infinite density, and if a theory of gravitation ever succeeds Newtonian gravitation, it will break down under certain conditions.
cooldude3122
so if the point of infinite density is infintessimally small, then it is a point right? If so, then wouldn't it be a link to another dimension like the tenth or zero dimension or something like that? idk if you believe in multiple dimensions but please if you can prove it right or wrong I would love it.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Your question appears to bear little resemblance to the notion of black holes as treated in our gold standard theory of gravitation, gtr. Do you have another theory in mind? If not, can you clarify the question?

(It might also be a good idea to say something about your math/physics background, i.e. if you are a high school student you should probably say so.)

Yes, I am a high school student, but if you think I am confused on something please tell me, I want to get this straight, if you can.

A Reading suggestion

Hi, cooldude3122,

Thanks for the indication of your level; this is very helpful in trying to give you answers/advice which I hope you will find useful!

0. In future, I urge you to try to write complete sentences. "Blackberry style" posts are inappropriate for discussions of subtle concepts in math/physics!

cooldude3122 said:
so if the point of infinite density is infintessimally small... then it [a black hole] is a point right?

1. Physics deals with physical theories which are expressed in the language of mathematics and compared with experiment and astronomical observation. More precisely, theoretical physicists make specific quantitative predictions which experimentalists can then test. In this way, theories can be ruled out. In the case of our first "best theories" of gravitation, Newtonian gravitation and gtr, it would be more accurate to say that limits on the domain where a given theory is thought to be reliable can be changed by new evidence. Note that gtr is our current gold standard theory of gravitation and has been very extensively tested, with the result that we know a lot about where Newtonian theory breaks down (and where it is still safe to use), and we also know that any useful theory of gravitation must give predictions which are essentially indistinguishable from gtr in all conditions we have yet tested. Consequently, discussions of "gravity" are usually assumed to refer to gtr unless an alternative is specified. In any case some theory (or class of theories) must be specified in order to have a meaningful discussion.

2. To prevent possible confusion I stress that under the conditions where it is known to be safe to use Newtonian gravitation, this theory gives predictions indistinguishable from gtr, but is much easier to work with, so it makes sense to use it wherever possible. If gtr is ever succeeded by a better theory, similar remarks should hold true for the domain where Newtonian gravitation breaks down, but gtr does not.

3. Strong theoretical considerations strongly suggest that gtr should eventually be found to break down under certain conditions (sufficiently small scales, sufficiently strong gravitaitonal fields).

4. It is true that in some ways black holes can be thought of as the analogs in gtr of the "point masses" of Newtonian gravitation. Nonetheless, a black hole, as this concept is understood in the context of gtr, is not a "point of infinite density" or even "infinitesimally small".

5. I urge you to read an excellent book by Geroch, General Relativity from A to B, which is aimed at high school students (or equivalent) and which focuses at conveying by (good!) pictures an accurate intuition for some of the basic features of the black hole concept in gtr, such as the meaning of the "event horizon" in terms of "light cones" attached to each "event" in spacetime. (There are some other good nontechnical books, but this one is exceptionally good and specifically attempts to address the very issues which have confused you.)

cooldude3122 said:
If so, then wouldn't it be a link to another dimension like the tenth or zero dimension or something like that? ...idk if you believe in multiple dimensions...

6. Some theories which have been proposed and which attempt to provide a candidate for the successor theory to gtr as our gold standard theory of gravitation---some of these, such as superstring theory, also attempt to unify gravitation with various other fundamental interactions--- do posit "extra dimensions". I recommend that you study the popular book by Geroch before trying to learn about superstring theory. However, a good popular book on superstring theory is Brian Greene, The Elegant Universe.

7. Superstring theory has been criticized on the grounds that so far its advocates have apparently been unable to suggest any test feasible with currently forseeable technology which would enable experimentalists to compare it with gtr. Some critics charge that superstring theory advocates have been reduced to claiming the fact that string theory appears to recover gtr in an appropriate limit, just as gtr recovers Newtonian gravitation in an appropriate limit, as a successful "postdiction". IMO these critics have a point, but given the difficulty of the mathematical issues involved, I feel that string theorists have probably not been wasting their efforts. However, I tend to suspect that for the forseeable future string theory may be more valuable in pure mathematics than in physics (because if you extract the original physical motivation, the mathematics remaining is by common consent novel and beautiful), and I note that mathematics developed in order to pursue some "failed physical theory", e.g. knot theory, often turns out to be useful for unforeseen applications, and may even eventually turn out to have applications not very far from the original motivation!

Last edited:
yeah, but i have trouble seeing just how a black hole could form a worm hole. Given that a black hole is (assuming that hawking radiation isn't enough to keep it from growing) gaining mass, it will keep on "bending" space-time. However there are two questions: 1, If a black-hole can't tear space-time, then you can't really have wormholes, and 2, if a black hole CAN tear space-time, then what happens next? it's in no-man's-land? in an area other than the universes? However, if hte BH is not in N-M-L then, "tearing" space-time, you probably could form a wormhole

Come again?

Hi, rubecuber, are you addressing me, and if so, are you the same person as cooldude3122? If not, same questions I had for him: can you briefly describe your math/sci background?

rubecuber said:
yeah, but i have trouble seeing just how a black hole could form a worm hole.

You might have seen some recent posts in which I tried to carefully explain that there are many things which might be called "wormholes" with greater or lesser justification, and some of them are features of some models of black holes. There are several points here to explain so you might try the "search" tool to look for my posts.

rubecuber said:
Given that a black hole is (assuming that hawking radiation isn't enough to keep it from growing) gaining mass,

Hawking radiation is completely negligible for solar mass black holes, even more neglible for supermassive black holes. If a black hole is accreting matter, or even absorbing some fraction of background starlight, then yes, its mass is growing, perhaps very slowly.

rubecuber said:
it will keep on "bending" space-time.

According to gtr, any concentration of mass-energy will change the curvature of spacetime, in a manner predicted by the EFE.

rubecuber said:
However there are two questions: 1, If a black-hole can't tear space-time, then you can't really have wormholes,

Huh? Have you confused "tearing" as in "ripping paper" with what is supposed to happen in a wormhole? If so, that doesn't sound right, but note that wormholes are supposed to work a bit like "handles" in surface topology (think of a surface formed by gluing half a bagel onto a beach ball, and gosh I hope you get the right picture from this half-hearted description).

rubecuber said:
if a black hole CAN tear space-time, then what happens next?

Or are you confusing something like a "strong spacelike curvature singularity" with "tearing" as in "ripping paper"?

rubecuber said:
it's in no-man's-land? in an area other than the universes? However, if hte BH is not in N-M-L then, "tearing" space-time, you probably could form a wormhole

You've completely lost me. I encourage you to seek out and read an excellent popular book which has almost no mathematical prerequisites but which can provide a geometrically accurate idea of the simplest black hole models, after which you'll be in a much better position to ask more questions. See Geroch, General Relativity from A to B.

Last edited:

1. What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space with a gravitational pull so strong that nothing, including light, can escape from it. This creates a region of darkness, hence the name "black hole".

2. How are black holes formed?

Black holes are formed when a massive star dies and its core collapses under its own gravity. This causes the star's mass to be concentrated in a small space, creating a strong gravitational pull.

3. Can we see a black hole?

No, we cannot see a black hole directly because it does not emit or reflect any light. However, we can detect its presence through its effects on nearby matter and light.

4. How do black holes affect surrounding objects?

The strong gravitational pull of a black hole can cause nearby matter, such as gas and dust, to orbit around it. This can also cause the matter to heat up and emit radiation, making black holes visible to us indirectly.

5. What happens if something falls into a black hole?

If an object falls into a black hole, it will be stretched and compressed as it approaches the center of the black hole, known as the singularity. This process is known as spaghettification, and the object will eventually be crushed into an infinitely small point.