What is the most competitive field in USA?

• Thread starter rukshan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Field Usa
In summary: The field is constantly growing and there are a lot of opportunities for students to get involved in research.
rukshan
What is the most competitive and least competitive field in USA?

Is it Astronomy? Astrophysics?

Is it condensed matter physics?

Is it high energy / nuclear physics?

or Bio physics ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Heh. Law, of course!

I mean physics fields

Depending on how specialized you make your subfield, it's easy to find physics fields with well under 1000 people in them. Competitive might not be the best descriptor?

Define competitive... including criteria (funding? new-faculty opportunities? postdoc opportunities? etc).

profesional basketball, hands down, is more competitive than any of those areas you mentioned. those graduate programs are begging for students, and in pro bball, fantastic players are looking for a living.

mathwonk said:
profesional basketball, hands down, is more competitive than any of those areas you mentioned. those graduate programs are begging for students, and in pro bball, fantastic players are looking for a living.

Do I laugh or cry..? :rolleyes:

By the way.. Are astronomy/astrophysics programs really begging for students, I always thought these were sort of popular fields but that might just be because I've always like them?

Last edited:
mathwonk said:

Is this the best answer you can give?

why do you want to know what's the most competitive? chose any field, and you ll ofcourse find competition if you are good

rukshan said:
Is this the best answer you can give?

You've got three posts saying your question is too vague. Is that the best clarification you can give?

Asphodel said:
You've got three posts saying your question is too vague. Is that the best clarification you can give?

if my question is too vague,simply don't answer. People who can answer have already answered and will answer. I understand the competition(popularity) depends on state and university and I just want personal opinions. I'm simply asking about the opportunities for those fields.

Well, if a meteor having entered through the ceiling of the McDonald's on Louisiana and Austin wipes out every known name in a certain field of physics, then I would say it was a competitive field.

you have a lot of nerve to be asking for help and also criticizing the responses you get. if you diss the advice you get for free, find your own answers. you are not providing anything of value here, so we will not suffer from incurring your displeasure.

Probably Engineering.

1. What is considered the most competitive field in the USA?

The most competitive field in the USA is subjective and can vary depending on various factors such as job demand, salary, and industry growth. However, some of the most competitive fields currently in the USA include technology, finance, healthcare, and engineering.

2. How is the competitiveness of a field determined?

The competitiveness of a field is determined by various factors such as demand for jobs, number of applicants, and qualifications needed. Fields with high demand and a large pool of highly qualified applicants are considered more competitive.

3. What makes a field competitive?

A field can be considered competitive based on its job demand, salary potential, and level of competition among applicants. Fields with high demand and high salaries tend to attract more qualified applicants, making them more competitive.

4. Are there any specific industries that tend to be more competitive than others?

Yes, there are certain industries that are known to be highly competitive, such as technology, finance, and healthcare. These industries are constantly evolving and have a high demand for skilled workers, making them more competitive.

5. Is it worth pursuing a career in a competitive field?

It ultimately depends on your personal goals and interests. While competitive fields may have a higher demand and potential for higher salaries, they also tend to have a higher level of competition. It's important to consider your skills, qualifications, and passion for a field before pursuing a career in a competitive industry.