In a graph, what is the origin of the abscissa?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to draw a graph and specifically mentions suppressing the origin of the abscissa to cover the horizontal scale. The speaker is unsure of how to do this and asks for suggestions. Another person suggests simply plotting the data and shifting the origin to a non-zero value to avoid an empty space.
gcatal
I need to draw a graph. According to the directions, I need to, "supress the origin of the abscissa so that the range of my X values covers the hozrizontal scale" I know the abscissa means the x-coordinate, but I don't know what the origin of the abscissa means and how I would "suppress it". Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I would suggest simply plotting the data as you normally would. I think you will find that to aviod a large "empty" space from zero to your first point, you will need to shift the origin to some non zero value.

The origin of the abscissa refers to the point where the x-axis and y-axis intersect on a graph. It is typically labeled as (0,0) and serves as the starting point for plotting data points. To "suppress" the origin of the abscissa means to remove or hide this point on the graph, so that the x-axis does not start at (0,0) and instead begins at a different value. This can be done by adjusting the scale or range of the x-axis so that it starts at a different value, allowing for a more efficient use of space on the graph.

1. What is the meaning of the term "abscissa" in a graph?

The term "abscissa" refers to the horizontal axis of a graph, on which the independent variable is plotted.

2. What does the origin of the abscissa represent?

The origin of the abscissa represents the point where the horizontal axis intersects with the vertical axis. It is typically labeled as the coordinate (0,0) and serves as a reference point for all other data points on the graph.

3. How is the origin of the abscissa determined?

The origin of the abscissa is determined by the scale and range of the data being plotted on the graph. It is typically placed at the center of the graph, but can vary depending on the specific data being represented.

4. Why is the origin of the abscissa important in a graph?

The origin of the abscissa is important because it provides a reference point for interpreting the data on the graph. It allows us to compare and contrast different data points and visualize their relationships to one another.

5. Can the origin of the abscissa ever change?

Yes, the origin of the abscissa can change depending on the data being plotted and the scale of the graph. For example, in a logarithmic scale, the origin may not be placed at (0,0) but instead at a different point on the axis.