Help with writing a chem equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a balanced equation for a reaction between nitric acid and magnesium hydroxide. The speaker is unable to type in subscripts and asks for help. The response suggests using TexAid to insert the equation and mentions that the products of the reaction are salt and water. The final equation is corrected to show the correct products, sodium nitrate and water.
Arcane
I need to write a balanced equation for a reaction between water solutions of nitric acid and magnesium hydroxide. I'm stuck and I'm sorry I don't know how to type in subscripts, so I can't write out the formula on here.

Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that's just an acid/base reaction.

I know it's an acid base reeaction but I need to know the products.

Arcane said:
I know it's an acid base reeaction but I need to know the products.

Let's check what you need carefully:

You want to know how to put in the subscripts; you should learn to use TexAid, or something else that others might recommend. TexAid is freeware, and it is very easy to learn to use. You can paste from the editor into your forum message, and insert tags into the message around your expressions. Those tags would be [ t e x ] and [ / t e x ], but without the spaces.

Now about your question of the products; as ShawnD has stated, this is an acid-base reaction. What are the products of the reaction of an acid with a base? Salt and water. Balance accordingly.

[tex] \[
Mg(OH)_2 + 2HNO_3 \to Mg(NO)_2 + 2HOH
\]
[/tex]

The code between the tags is: \[
Mg(OH)_2 + 2HNO_3 \to Mg(NO)_2 + 2HOH
\]

I made a little (important) mistake there. Reaction should be:

[tex] \[
Mg(OH)_2 + 2HNO_3 \to Mg(NO_3 )_2 + 2HOH
\]
[/tex]

Remember, acid+base reactions always yield a salt, and water.

So you get Sodium Nitrate and Water.

1. What is the purpose of writing a chemical equation?

The purpose of writing a chemical equation is to visually represent a chemical reaction and the substances involved. It shows the reactants on the left side and the products on the right side, with an arrow indicating the direction of the reaction.

2. How do I balance a chemical equation?

To balance a chemical equation, you need to make sure that the number of atoms of each element is equal on both sides of the equation. This can be achieved by adding coefficients (numbers in front of a molecule) to each substance, making sure that the same coefficient is applied to all atoms in that substance.

3. What are the basic rules for writing a chemical equation?

The basic rules for writing a chemical equation are:- Always start with the reactants on the left side and the products on the right side- Use the correct chemical formula for each substance- Balance the equation by adjusting coefficients- Do not change the subscripts in chemical formulas

4. How do I know if a chemical equation is balanced?

A chemical equation is balanced if the number of each type of atom is the same on both sides of the equation. You can check this by counting the number of atoms for each element. If they are equal, the equation is balanced.

5. What is the difference between a chemical equation and a chemical formula?

A chemical equation shows the reactants and products of a chemical reaction, while a chemical formula represents the composition of a substance by indicating the type and number of atoms present. Chemical formulas are used within chemical equations to show which substances are involved in the reaction.