Need double check on Price Elasticity Please

• Thread starter Kaleb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Elasticity
In summary, the conversation discusses the price elasticity of demand for soda when the price doubles from $1.00 per can to $2.00 per can and the same amount is purchased. The formula used is % of Change in Quantity of Demand / % of Change in Price, and based on this calculation, the demand for soda is considered perfectly inelastic over this price range. However, it is noted that this may not be the case if the price were to increase significantly. There is also some confusion about the values used in the formula and whether the change is actually 0 or 100%.
Kaleb
[SOLVED] Need double check on Price Elasticity Please

Question:
If the price of soda doubles from $1.00 per can to $2.00 per can and you buy the same amount, what is your price elasticity of demand for soda, and is it considered elastic or inelastic.

Formula:
% of Change in Quantity of Demand / % of Change in Price

Attempt:
I figure since the demand is the same the formula is 1/.5 = 2.0 So its inelastic correct?

I know this is a stretch on the forum considering its more economics. But this forum never let's me down :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, your demand is perfectly inelastic over that price range. (It might not be perfectly inelastic if it went to a million dollars. :p.)

Kaleb said:
Question:
If the price of soda doubles from $1.00 per can to $2.00 per can and you buy the same amount, what is your price elasticity of demand for soda, and is it considered elastic or inelastic.

Formula:
% of Change in Quantity of Demand / % of Change in Price

Attempt:
I figure since the demand is the same the formula is 1/.5 = 2.0 So its inelastic correct?

I know this is a stretch on the forum considering its more economics. But this forum never let's me down :)
If "you buy the same amount" why is the "% of Change in Quantity of Demand" equal to 1? I would have thought the change was 0. Also if "If the price of soda doubles from $1.00 per can to $2.00 per can" why is the "% of Change in Price" 0.5? I would have thought it would be 100%.

1. What is price elasticity of demand?

Price elasticity of demand is a measure of the responsiveness of the quantity demanded of a product to changes in its price. It is calculated by dividing the percentage change in quantity demanded by the percentage change in price.

2. How is price elasticity of demand determined?

Price elasticity of demand is determined by multiple factors including the availability of substitutes, the proportion of income spent on the product, and the time period considered. Generally, products with more substitutes and that make up a larger portion of consumer's income have a higher price elasticity of demand.

3. What is the difference between elastic and inelastic demand?

Elastic demand means that the quantity demanded of a product is highly responsive to changes in its price, while inelastic demand means that the quantity demanded is not very responsive to price changes. In other words, a small change in price will result in a large change in quantity demanded for elastic products, and a small change in price will result in a small change in quantity demanded for inelastic products.

4. How does price elasticity of demand affect pricing strategies?

Price elasticity of demand is an important factor to consider when determining pricing strategies. Products with elastic demand may benefit from lowering prices to increase demand, while products with inelastic demand may not see much change in demand with price changes.

5. Can price elasticity of demand change over time?

Yes, price elasticity of demand can change over time. Factors such as changes in consumer preferences, availability of substitutes, and economic conditions can all affect the elasticity of demand for a product. It is important for businesses to regularly monitor and evaluate the price elasticity of demand for their products to make informed pricing decisions.