Need help with derivation of the range formula

In summary, the range formula for a projectile in the absence of air is given by Range=Vhxt, where Vh=vcostheta. This can be derived from the equation V=Vo+at by rearranging it to V-Vo=2Vsintheta/g=t, where a=g=9.8m/s/s (gravity) and vsintheta represents the vertical velocity.
Yorganda
I need to find a derivation of the range formula for a projectile in the absence of air.

i know that the range formula is Range=Vhxt
i know that Vh=vcostheta

but in having trouble understanding how V=Vo+at can be re-arranged to = 2Vsintheta/g=t where a=g=9.8m/s/s (gravity)

i know V=Vo+at can be arranged to equal V-Vo/g=t
but this is where i get stuck, i don't know how to get to V-Vo=2Vsintheta

i know that vsintheta = vertical velocity

If anyone can help it would be appreciated heaps

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

If you take downward direction to be +ve then

[tex]V=vsin \theta[/tex]

and

[tex]V_o=-v sin \theta[/tex]

a=g :smile:

Put this in your equation.

1. What is the range formula used for?

The range formula is used to calculate the maximum distance that a projectile or object can travel in a given trajectory. This is useful in many fields such as physics, engineering, and ballistics.

2. How is the range formula derived?

The range formula is derived using the equations of motion and the principles of projectile motion. It involves solving for the horizontal and vertical components of velocity and using these values to calculate the maximum distance traveled.

3. Can the range formula be used for all types of projectiles?

Yes, the range formula can be used for all types of projectiles as long as the initial velocity and angle of launch are known. This includes objects launched at an angle, horizontally, or vertically.

4. What are the variables in the range formula?

The variables in the range formula include the initial velocity (v), the angle of launch (θ), the acceleration due to gravity (g), and the time of flight (t). Depending on the specific problem, other variables such as air resistance or initial height may also be included.

5. How can the range formula be applied in real-life situations?

The range formula can be applied in various real-life situations, such as calculating the distance a baseball can be hit, determining the maximum range of a missile, or predicting the trajectory of a golf ball. It is also used in designing and analyzing projectile motion experiments and in the development of weapons and other technologies.