Exploring the Relationship Between Kinetic and Potential Energy in Gases

In summary, the internal energy of a gas is the sum of the kinetic and potential energies of the constituent molecules. However, for an ideal gas, which assumes no interactions between molecules, the internal energy is solely the kinetic energy. This can be seen when changing states, as the latent heat is required to increase the potential energy of the molecules and do work against external pressure.
nokia8650
[SOLVED] Internal energy of a gas

Is the internal energy of a gas simply the total kinetic energy possesed by the particles? I ask this, since I have read this to be the case, however I have also read that when changing state, eg. from liquid to gas, the latent heat is the energy required to increase the potential enrgy of the particles, as well as do work against external pressure. If energy is put into increase the potential energy, surely some of the internal energy of the gas is potential energy, as well as kinetic energy, isn't it?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
nokia8650 said:
surely some of the internal energy of the gas is potential energy, as well as kinetic energy, isn't it?
You are indeed correct. The internal energy of a gas can be thought of as the sum of the kinetic and potential energies of the constituent molecules. However, note that for the special case of an ideal gas, it is assumed that the molecules do not interact, i.e. there is no potential energy. Hence, for an ideal gas the internal energy is the kinetic energy of the molecules, since there is no potential component.

Further reading: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/thermo/inteng.html"

I hope that makes sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you ever so much, it makes a lot more sense now!

nokia8650 said:
Thank you ever so much, it makes a lot more sense now!
A pleasure :smile:

Don't forget to mark this thread a 'solved' when your done, thanks.

1. What is internal energy of a gas?

The internal energy of a gas is the total energy of all the molecules in the gas, including their kinetic energy and potential energy. It is a measure of the gas's microscopic energy and is related to its temperature.

2. How is internal energy related to temperature?

The internal energy of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature. As the temperature increases, the molecules in the gas move faster and have more kinetic energy, thus increasing the internal energy of the gas.

3. What factors affect the internal energy of a gas?

The internal energy of a gas is affected by several factors, including temperature, pressure, and the number of molecules in the gas. Changes in any of these factors can cause a change in the internal energy of the gas.

4. How does the internal energy of a gas change during a phase change?

During a phase change, the internal energy of a gas remains constant. This is because the energy is used to break or form intermolecular bonds between the molecules, rather than increasing the kinetic energy of the molecules.

5. Can the internal energy of a gas be negative?

Yes, the internal energy of a gas can be negative. This can occur when the gas is at a lower temperature and has less kinetic energy, or when the gas has lost energy due to a decrease in pressure or volume.