Having a massive brain fart SIMPLE molarity -> molality conversion

In summary, the conversation was about the conversion of molarity to molality and the confusion the speaker was having with getting the correct value. They attempted to solve it manually but were not able to match the given value. They were advised to look into the proper formula for the conversion and provided with resources to guide them.
soggybread
Having a massive brain fart... SIMPLE "molarity -> molality" conversion...

This isn't even a homework question per se, I'm just trying to understand how the question converted the molarity to the molality value, via the density given. I just got a different value of molality when trying to solve for it manually... and am pretty sure I did something stupid.

Homework Statement

If the osmotic pressure of a 6.02×10-2 M aqueous solution of Ca(NO3)2 was found to be 4.05 atm at 20°C. Note that the corresponding molality would be 6.10×10-2 m, given that the density of the solution is 0.997 g/cm3...

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay... so the question tells me it has a molality of 6.10×10-2 m,

So if I want to solve for that myself, I would start off with the given molarity, right? So it would be 6.02×10-2 M then multiply it by the density of solution, 0.997g/cm3, or in other words, 0.997kg/1L ... and then we're done, right?

So:
6.02×10-2 mol/L multiply 1L/0.997kg = 6.04x10-2

... but the question tells me it's 6.10×10-2 m ... and I have no idea why I'm not getting that value.

I don't know what's going wrong here... I'm sure I am missing something dead simple...

Physics news on Phys.org

Molality <> molarity conversion isn't that easy, proper formula is much more complicated.

See example of concentration conversion - percentage to molarity. That's not exactly what you need, but the general approach outlined there will lead you to the molarity/molality formula. There is also a nice collection of conversion formulas on the same site.

but I can't see it.
Hello,

It seems like you are on the right track with your calculations. However, I believe the discrepancy in your answer may be due to rounding errors. The molarity value of 6.02x10-2 mol/L may actually be slightly higher or lower due to the significant figures given in the problem. Additionally, the density value of 0.997 g/cm3 may also have some slight variation. These small differences in values can lead to a slightly different molality value when calculated manually.

In order to get the exact molality value of 6.10x10-2 m, it may be helpful to use more precise values for molarity and density. Also, make sure to keep track of significant figures throughout your calculations to avoid rounding errors.

I hope this helps and clarifies any confusion. Keep up the good work!

1. What is a massive brain fart?

A massive brain fart is a colloquial term for a temporary lapse in memory or concentration, often resulting in difficulty recalling important information or completing a task.

2. What is molarity?

Molarity is a measure of the concentration of a solution, calculated by dividing the number of moles of solute by the volume of the solution in liters.

3. What is molality?

Molality is a measure of the concentration of a solution, calculated by dividing the number of moles of solute by the mass of the solvent in kilograms.

4. How do I convert from molarity to molality?

To convert from molarity to molality, you need to know the density of the solution. Then, you can use the formula molality = molarity / density.

5. Why is it important to understand molarity and molality conversions?

Molarity and molality conversions are important because they allow scientists to accurately measure the concentration of a solution, which is crucial in many experiments and industrial processes. Understanding these conversions also helps in making dilutions and determining the amounts of substances needed for a reaction.