Calculating Tangential Velocity: 0.45kg Ball, 45N Force

In summary, we have a 0.45kg ball attached to a 1.00m long string with a force of 45 N keeping it in a circular path. To find the ball's centripetal acceleration and tangential velocity, we can use the equation v=r*omega and F=mr*omega^2. From this, we can also determine that the centripetal acceleration is equal to the tangential velocity divided by the radius.
sw3etazngyrl
Suppose a 0.45kg ball is attached to a 1.00m long string. the force keeping the ball oving in a circular path is 45 N. What will the ball's centripetal acceleration and tangential velocity be?

I got the first part, but I'm not sure how to get the 2nd part.

So, I'm using v=r*omega. To find omega, I want to use F=mr*omega^2. Will that work?

Physics news on Phys.org
Will you show the calculations in numbers?

sw3etazngyrl said:
So, I'm using v=r*omega. To find omega, I want to use F=mr*omega^2. Will that work?
Probably. BTW, the bold face is hard to read.

The force keeping the ball in circular path is the centripetal force. Since f=ma, and we know that "a" must be the centripetal acceleration. What is centripetal acceleration equal to (you already found this, from there you should realize the a_cent is also equal to something else).

What is tangential velocity and how is it calculated?

Tangential velocity is the measure of an object's speed and direction as it moves along a circular path. It is calculated by dividing the product of the object's angular velocity and radius by 2π.

What is the equation for calculating tangential velocity?

The equation for calculating tangential velocity is Vt = ωr/2π, where Vt is the tangential velocity, ω is the angular velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

How does the mass of the object affect its tangential velocity?

The mass of an object does not directly affect its tangential velocity. It is dependent on the object's angular velocity and the radius of its circular path. However, the mass can indirectly affect tangential velocity through its influence on the object's angular velocity.

What is the relationship between force and tangential velocity?

The force applied to an object moving in a circular path can affect its tangential velocity. In the case of a constant force, the tangential velocity will increase as the force increases. However, if the force is not constant, other factors such as friction and air resistance can also influence the tangential velocity.

How is tangential velocity different from linear velocity?

Tangential velocity is the speed and direction of an object as it moves along a circular path, while linear velocity is the speed and direction of an object moving in a straight line. Tangential velocity is dependent on the object's angular velocity and the radius of its circular path, while linear velocity is dependent on the object's speed and direction of motion.