Book of Mathematical Theorems and Formulas?

In summary, the speaker is looking for a large book or tome that contains every possible theorem and formula, with a preference for learning theorems after understanding how they were discovered. They mention the Princeton Companion to Mathematics as a potential resource, but ultimately recommend Schaum's Mathematical Handbook and Boas' "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" for basic reference and Eric Weisstein's Mathworld for a comprehensive and entertaining reference.
Aezi
I'm looking for a giant tome on every theorem and formula. If it had more, that would be awesome, but I'm just looking for one giant book to use as a reference. I prefer to learn theorems and formulas after learning how they were discovered, but I also want a "scope" of what's available out there. For example, I had never knew that Pappus's Centroid Theorem had existed until I google'd it. Although I knew the concepts in Pappus's Centroid Theorem, I had never knew that it had a formal name. Thus, I want a book (or a gigantic tome) filled with every possible formula, theorem, etc. It can be dense or condense. If it were dense, I'd digest it on my spare time, as I find joy reading proofs. :D Just one big big big big mathematics book for reference! I look at the Princeton Companion to Mathematics and it seemed bad.

Physics news on Phys.org
Two things come to mind.

For basic reference, I turn to Schaum's Mathematical Handbook. For some deeper analysis of topics I have Boas "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences."

For comprehensive reference, Eric Weisstein's creation (now Wolfram's) Mathworld is a fantastic reference. I can spend as much time there as I can on Wikipedia just for entertainment. http://mathworld.wolfram.com/

I understand the importance of having a comprehensive reference for mathematical theorems and formulas. It is essential for researchers and students alike to have access to a wide range of mathematical concepts in one place. I would recommend looking into "The Princeton Companion to Mathematics" as it is a highly acclaimed and comprehensive resource for mathematical concepts.

However, if you are looking for a more condensed and focused reference, I would suggest "The Handbook of Mathematical Functions" published by the National Institute of Standards and Technology. This book contains over 1,000 pages of mathematical formulas and theorems, and is considered the standard reference for mathematical functions.

I also want to highlight the importance of understanding the history and discovery behind mathematical theorems and formulas. This not only adds context and depth to our understanding, but it also allows for the development of new ideas and advancements in the field. Therefore, I would recommend pairing a comprehensive reference book with resources that delve into the history and origins of mathematical concepts.

In summary, I suggest considering "The Princeton Companion to Mathematics" or "The Handbook of Mathematical Functions" for a comprehensive reference on mathematical theorems and formulas. Additionally, I encourage you to explore resources that provide insight into the history and discovery of these concepts for a more well-rounded understanding.

I can understand your desire for a comprehensive reference book on mathematical theorems and formulas. It can be challenging to keep track of all the different concepts and their formal names, especially if you are just starting to delve into a specific area of mathematics.

I would recommend looking for a textbook or handbook specifically focused on the branch of mathematics you are interested in. These types of resources often provide a more organized and structured approach to learning theorems and formulas, starting with the basics and building up to more complex concepts. Additionally, they often include historical context and explanations of how these theorems were discovered, which aligns with your preference for understanding the origins of each theorem.

If you prefer a more condensed resource, you can also consider searching for a compendium or encyclopedia of mathematical theorems and formulas. These types of books often provide a brief overview of each concept and can serve as a quick reference guide.

Ultimately, the best resource for you will depend on your specific needs and learning style. I would suggest browsing through various options and perhaps even consulting with a mathematician or fellow scientist for recommendations. Remember, the goal is to find a resource that will enhance your understanding and enjoyment of mathematics.

1. What is the purpose of the Book of Mathematical Theorems and Formulas?

The Book of Mathematical Theorems and Formulas is a comprehensive reference guide for mathematical concepts and equations. It serves as a tool for students, researchers, and professionals to quickly access and review important mathematical principles.

2. How is the information organized in the Book of Mathematical Theorems and Formulas?

The information in the book is organized in a logical and systematic manner. It is divided into chapters based on different branches of mathematics, such as algebra, geometry, and calculus. Within each chapter, the theorems and formulas are structured in a hierarchical and sequential order.

3. Is the Book of Mathematical Theorems and Formulas suitable for all levels of mathematics?

Yes, the book covers a wide range of mathematical concepts from basic to advanced levels. It can be used by students in middle school, high school, and college, as well as by professionals in the field of mathematics.

4. Are there any examples or applications provided in the Book of Mathematical Theorems and Formulas?

Yes, the book includes numerous examples and applications of the theorems and formulas to help readers better understand and apply them in real-world situations. These examples also serve as practice problems for students to test their understanding.

5. Is the Book of Mathematical Theorems and Formulas updated regularly?

Yes, the book is regularly updated to include new theorems and formulas as well as to revise and improve existing ones. With the continuous advancements in mathematics, it is important to stay current and provide the most accurate and relevant information to readers.