Circuit with only resistors and multiple batteries

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of positive and negative sides in a simple circuit with resistors and multiple batteries and loops. The speaker is trying to understand how to apply Kirchhoff's rule and solve for current or voltage in the circuit. They mention getting confused about voltage drop and gain and ask for clarification on the choice of direction for current in each branch. The response suggests choosing a direction and considering it as a guess, and using negative currents as an indication of a wrong guess. The conversation concludes with the speaker expressing gratitude for the explanation.
driedupfish
in a simple circuit with only resistors and multiple batteries and multiple loops, which side is the positive and negative on the resistors? I am referring to the case of Kirchhoff rule in which I have to come up with equations to solve for current or voltage. But I got confused on voltage drop and gain thing.

Physics news on Phys.org

Do you mean "what side is positive and negative" in the real circuit, or what side should you choose + and - when solving the circuit?

If the former - you can't tell until you solve the circuit!

If the later - I always choose a direction for the current in each branch, voltage drops in the direction of the current. I thought of the choice of direction as a guess; if a current turns up negative, it means I guessed wrong.

Does this help?

yes, thanks alot.

What is a circuit with only resistors and multiple batteries?

A circuit with only resistors and multiple batteries is a simple electrical circuit that consists of resistors and multiple batteries connected in series or parallel. The resistors resist the flow of electricity, while the batteries provide the energy to power the circuit.

How do you calculate the total resistance in a circuit with only resistors and multiple batteries?

To calculate the total resistance in a circuit with only resistors and multiple batteries, you can use the formula R = R1 + R2 + ... + Rn, where R is the total resistance and R1, R2, and Rn are the resistances of each resistor in the circuit. If the resistors are connected in parallel, you can use the formula 1/R = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + ... + 1/Rn.

How do you calculate the total voltage in a circuit with only resistors and multiple batteries?

To calculate the total voltage in a circuit with only resistors and multiple batteries, you can use the formula V = V1 + V2 + ... + Vn, where V is the total voltage and V1, V2, and Vn are the voltages of each battery in the circuit. If the batteries are connected in parallel, the total voltage will be equal to the voltage of the highest voltage battery in the circuit.

What is the difference between series and parallel circuits with only resistors and multiple batteries?

In a series circuit with only resistors and multiple batteries, the resistors are connected in a single path, one after the other. This means that the current is the same at all points in the circuit, and the total resistance is equal to the sum of the resistances of each resistor. In a parallel circuit with only resistors and multiple batteries, the resistors are connected in multiple paths, each with its own branch of the circuit. This means that the current is divided between the branches, and the total resistance is less than the resistance of the individual resistors.

How do you calculate the current in a circuit with only resistors and multiple batteries?

To calculate the current in a circuit with only resistors and multiple batteries, you can use Ohm's Law, which states that current (I) is equal to voltage (V) divided by resistance (R). So, I = V/R. You can also use Kirchhoff's Current Law, which states that the sum of all currents entering a node (or point) in a circuit is equal to the sum of all currents leaving that node.