Help me read this solenoid diagram please

In summary, the conversation is about trying to understand the function of a solenoid that is integrated into a switched shutoff system. The speaker is looking for a way to add an on-off switch between the switch and the solenoid. The image provided shows a 14vdc relay with contact ratings of 30amp for the normally open contacts and 20amp for the normally closed. There is some confusion about the voltage rating of the coil. Overall, the speaker is grateful for any help with understanding the diagram.
eberg
Can someone help me understand what this solenoid is doing? It's somehow integrated into a switched shutoff system. I'm trying to figure out if I can jump two wires or ultimately add an on-off switch in line somewhere between the switch and this solenoid. Thanks for any help.

click to enlarge
http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/4861/solenoid.th.jpg

-Eric

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Looks like a 14vdc relay with contact ratings of 30amp for the normally open contacts and 20amp for the normally closed. The NO contact is between 30 and 87. The NC contact is between 30 and 87a.

Edit:
On second thought, it's not clear that the coil is rated at 14volts. i.e. the 14VDC might be the contact voltage rateing. Never seen it shown like that before.

Last edited:
OK Thanks. That's probably all I need to know. I can usually figure out the easy ones, but couldn't quite comprehend this diagram.

1. What is a solenoid diagram?

A solenoid diagram is a visual representation of the inner workings of a solenoid, which is a type of electromechanical device that converts electrical energy into mechanical movement. It is commonly used in various electronic and mechanical systems, such as valves, relays, and actuators.

2. How do I read a solenoid diagram?

To read a solenoid diagram, start by identifying the two main components: the coil and the plunger. The coil is represented by a series of loops, while the plunger is depicted as a straight line. Next, look for any arrows or labels that indicate the direction of current flow and movement. Finally, refer to the legend or key to understand the symbols and connections used in the diagram.

3. What do the different symbols on a solenoid diagram mean?

The symbols on a solenoid diagram represent various components and connections within the device. For example, the coil is typically represented by a series of loops, while the plunger is depicted as a straight line. Other symbols may indicate electrical connections, switches, or other mechanical parts. Refer to the legend or key for specific meanings.

4. What are the benefits of using a solenoid diagram?

Using a solenoid diagram can help you understand how a solenoid works and how it is connected within a larger system. It can also aid in troubleshooting and identifying any potential issues. Additionally, solenoid diagrams are useful for designing and building new systems that incorporate solenoids.

5. Are there different types of solenoid diagrams?

Yes, there are different types of solenoid diagrams, including ladder diagrams, wiring diagrams, and pictorial diagrams. Each type has its own style and conventions, but they all serve the same purpose of illustrating the inner workings of a solenoid. The type of diagram used will depend on the specific application and audience.