Using PV cells to energize an air core coil

In summary, the conversation discusses using PV cells to energize an air core coil and methods for determining the maximum length of 32 gauge magnetic wire to use without damaging the coil. The use of Ohm's law and inductance to increase the electromotive force of the coil is also discussed. The potential of using the coil as an electromagnet and the experimental nature of the project are mentioned. It is suggested to use a resistor instead of using a large amount of wire to increase amps in parallel. Finally, the conversation concludes with the clarification of the specifications for connecting the PV cells in series and parallel to achieve the desired voltage and current.
Robin07
I'm using PV cells to energize an air core coil. Is there a method in which I can determine the maximum length of 32 gauge magnetic wire to use, so that I don't use too few windings and burn the coil out or too many windings limiting its' potential. I'll be using 2 PV cells that are each rated at .180ma, 1/2v and hooking them up in series to maximize the amperage. So if I understand this correctly, hooking these up in series will give me .260ma at 1/2v. How do I use Ohms' law, V=IR to figure this out?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
If your purpose is to store energy in a coil, then you want to load the inside of the coil up with magnetic material to maximize the energy density. For a given number of amp-turns per meter from your pv cell, you can increase the energy stored by several 1000.

Basicaly, you want to increase the inductance L (henrys) of the coil

where the energy stored is E = (1/2) L I2

so for a given number of amps, the stored energy is larger when L is larger. You also want to use copper wire to minimize the resistive losses.

The big problem with storing the pv output in a coil is that as soon as you disconnect the coil from the pv cell and interrupt the current, the stored energy is lost.

Last edited:
Thanks Bob S, but no I'm not attempting to store energy in the coil, I'm trying to create a maximum electromotive force. The coil itself is a closed loop that houses the two PV cells. The coil and PV essembly are mounted on a center horizontal pivot. When the cell collects and sends current through the coil, the coil will realize an expanding magnetic field(flux). The resulting field will reflect off of a permanet magnet that is located under the essembly, causing the coil to spin. I realize that the coil will need to switch on and off, hence the cells are mounted facing only one direction, this will ensure that the cells will only be activated when they are facing the light source. I hope my explination makes sense. Increasing the inductance as you mentioned previous, will that increase the emf(electromotive force)? Thanks again Bob S.

Robin07 said:
I'm using PV cells to energize an air core coil. Is there a method in which I can determine the maximum length of 32 gauge magnetic wire to use, so that I don't use too few windings and burn the coil out or too many windings limiting its' potential. I'll be using 2 PV cells that are each rated at .180ma, 1/2v and hooking them up in series to maximize the amperage. So if I understand this correctly, hooking these up in series will give me .260ma at 1/2v. How do I use Ohms' law, V=IR to figure this out?

Thanks
In series you'll have 1VDC at 0.18ma, so you want R=5.6kohms. Look up the resistance per unit length for AWG 32 wire to get your 6kohms, that will be quite a bit, more than you want I am sure, so add a resistor. You also say you want to use the coil as an electro magnet. Note that as you move some other metal object towards or away from the coil you change the inductance of the coil and simultaneously induce a voltage in the coil when the object moves away/towards, i.e., you introduce another effective voltage source into your circuit.

Thanks Guys, I stand corrected here. If I want to increase my amps I will need to hook them up in parrallel, which will give me 1/2v at .360ma. I looked up the resistance per unit length for AWG 32 copper wire and for my application it calculates out to be 35.75 feet, thanks mheslep. And yes if I introduce a metal object into the mix this will change the inductance of the coil. In this case, a permanent magnet which, I hope, will induce an equal and opposite force, futher assisting in the spinning of the coil. Well it's all experimental.

Thanks for your input thus far and any other comments that follow. I'll post my results if anyone is interested. Thanks again.

Robin07 said:
Thanks Guys, I stand corrected here. If I want to increase my amps I will need to hook them up in parrallel, which will give me 1/2v at .360ma. I looked up the resistance per unit length for AWG 32 copper wire and for my application it calculates out to be 35.75 feet, thanks mheslep...
?? Do you actually mean milli-amps as you say? 0.00036A? AWG 35 is 329ohms per 1000ft. In parallel you want a 1388 ohm, ~1.5kohm load to draw rated current, or ~4000ft of AWG 35 copper wire. Use a resistor instead. In series, the same .36ma will flow through your coil.

My appologies for the confusion, I am very much a novice at this. This is the information I received from the PV cell supplier.

series adds volts
para adds amps
2 cells in series 1v@180ma
in para 1/2 volt @ 360ma

I would like to use the above specs to make the most efficient coil possible.

1. How do PV cells work to energize an air core coil?

PV cells, also known as solar cells, are made up of layers of silicon, a semiconductor material. When sunlight hits the silicon, it causes a flow of electrons, creating an electrical current. This current is then fed into the air core coil, which acts as an inductor, storing the energy in its magnetic field.

2. What is the advantage of using PV cells to energize an air core coil?

The main advantage of using PV cells is that they harness renewable energy from the sun. This means that they do not produce any harmful emissions and do not require any additional fuel to operate. Additionally, PV cells have a long lifespan and require little maintenance, making them a cost-effective and environmentally friendly option for powering devices.

3. How much energy can be generated by using PV cells to energize an air core coil?

The amount of energy generated by PV cells depends on factors such as the size and efficiency of the cells, as well as the amount of sunlight they receive. However, on average, a 1 square meter PV panel can generate around 150-200 watts of power, which is enough to power small devices or appliances.

4. Can PV cells be used to power larger devices or appliances through an air core coil?

Yes, PV cells can be used to power larger devices or appliances by connecting multiple cells in a series or parallel configuration. This allows for a higher voltage or current output, which can be used to energize larger air core coils and power larger devices.

5. Are there any limitations to using PV cells to energize an air core coil?

One limitation of using PV cells is that they are dependent on sunlight, so their energy output can fluctuate throughout the day and may not be consistent in locations with cloudy or rainy weather. Additionally, the initial cost of PV cells can be high, although they may provide long-term cost savings. It is also important to consider the size and efficiency of the PV cells, as well as the amount of sunlight they receive, to ensure they can generate enough energy to power the desired device.