Books to Self-Study Maths, Physics, and More

In summary, the conversation discusses the topics of Mathematical Physics, Classical Mechanics, Electromagnetic Theory, Quantum Mechanics, Thermodynamics and Statistical Physics, Atomic and Molecular Physics, Solid State Physics, Nuclear and Particle Physics, and Electronics. The speaker is seeking advice on which books to use for self-studying these topics and the recommended order to study them. They are advised to start with the mathematical topics, followed by classical mechanics and electromagnetic theory, and then move on to quantum mechanics, thermodynamics, and the rest. It is suggested to use 1-2 books from each section, and to prioritize understanding the concepts rather than completing all books.
PalashD
I have to self study the following topics what books should I get to do it?

1) Mathematical Physics
The course is: Linear vector space; matrices; vector calculus; linear differential equations; elements of complex analysis; Laplace transforms, Fourier analysis, elementary ideas about tensors.

2)Classical Mechanics
Course: Conservation laws; central forces, Kepler problem and planetary motion; collisions and scattering in laboratory and centre of mass frames; mechanics of system of particles; rigid body dynamics; moment of inertia tensor; noninertial frames and pseudo forces; variational principle; Lagrange’s and Hamilton’s formalisms; equation of motion, cyclic coordinates, Poisson bracket; periodic motion, small oscillations, normal modes; special theory of relativity – Lorentz transformations, relativistic kinematics, mass-energy equivalence.
I have access to the following books but obviously can't read them all
Classical Mechanics - 3rd ed. - Goldstein, Poole & Safko
Mechanics 3rd ed. - L. Landau, E. Lifgarbagez
Classical Mechanics - Point Particles And Relativity - W. Greiner
Classical Mechanics - Systems of Particles and Hamiltonian Dynamics - W. Greiner
Classical Mechanics - Tatum
Hamiltonian Dynamics - Theory and Applications - Cachan, paris
Structure And Interpretation Of Classical Mechanics - G. Sussman, J. Wisdom

3)Electromagnetic Theory: Solution of electrostatic and magnetostatic problems including boundary value problems; dielectrics and conductors; Biot-Savart’s and Ampere’s laws; Faraday’s law; Maxwell’s equations; scalar and vector potentials; Coulomb and Lorentz gauges; Electromagnetic waves and their reflection, refraction, interference, diffraction and polarization. Poynting vector, Poynting theorem, energy and momentum of electromagnetic waves; radiation from a moving charge.
Books:
Classical Electrodynamics - W. Greiner
Classical Electrodynamics 3rd ed. - J.D. Jackson
Classical Electrodynamics for Undergraduates - H. Norbury
Electrodynamics of Continuous Media 2nd ed. - L. Landau, E. Lifgarbagez
Introduction to Electrodynamics - D. Griffiths

4)Quantum Mechanics: Physical basis of quantum mechanics; uncertainty principle; Schrodinger equation; one, two and three dimensional potential problems; particle in a box, harmonic oscillator, hydrogen atom; linear vectors and operators in Hilbert space; angular momentum and spin; addition of angular momenta; time independent perturbation theory; elementary scattering theory.
Books:
Quantum Mechanics - A Conceptual Approach - H. Hameka
Quantum Mechanics - A Modern Development - L. Ballentine
Quantum Mechanics - an Introduction, 4th ed. - W. Greiner
Quantum Mechanics - Concepts and Applications - T. Biswas
Quantum Mechanics - J. Norbury
Quantum Mechanics - L. Schiff
Quantum Mechanics - Modern Mevelopment 4ed - A. Rae
Quantum Mechanics - Symmetries 2nd ed. - W. Greiner, B. Muller
Quantum Mechanics - Vol 1 - Cohen-Tannoudji
Quantum Mechanics - Vol 2 - Cohen-Tannoudji
Quantum Mechanics And Path Integrals - R. Feynman, A. Hibbs
Quantum Mechanics in Hilbert Space - E. Prugovecki
Quantum statistical mechanics - Kadanoff, L.P., Baym, G.
Introduction to Quantum Mechanics - A. Phillips
Introduction to Quantum Mechanics - D. Griffiths

Thermodynamics and Statistical Physics: Laws of thermodynamics; macrostates and microstates; phase space; probability ensembles; partition function, free energy, calculation of thermodynamic quantities; classical and quantum statistics; degenerate Fermi gas; black body radiation and Planck’s distribution law; Bose-Einstein condensation; first and second order phase transitions, critical point.
Books:Thermal and Statistical Physics - H. Gould, J. Tobochnik
Thermal physics - Kittel
Thermodynamics - E. Fermi
Thermodynamics An Engineering Approach 5th Edition - Gengel, Boles
Thermodynamics an introductory treatise - Bryan G.H.
Thermodynamics and an Introduction to Thermostatistics 2ed - H. Callen
Thermodynamics and Introductory Statistical Mechanics - Linder B.
Thermodynamics and Statistical Mechanics - W. Greiner, L. Niese, H. Stocker
Thermodynamics- An Advanced Treatment for Chemists and Physicists - E. Guggenheim

Atomic and Molecular Physics: Spectra of one- and many-electron atoms; LS and jj coupling; hyperfine structure; Zeeman and Stark effects; electric dipole transitions and selection rules; X-ray spectra; rotational and vibrational spectra of diatomic molecules; electronic transition in diatomic molecules, Franck-Condon principle; Raman effect; NMR and ESR; lasers.
books:
Handbook of Particle Physics - J. Sundaresan
Introduction to Elementary Particles - D. Griffiths
Particles and Quantum Fields - H. Klienert
Quarks and Leptons An Introductory Course in Modern Particle Physics - F.Halzem,A.Martin
The Universe in a Helium Droplet - G. Volovik
Fundamentals of Light Sources and Lasers - Mark Csele
Solid-State Lasers - A Graduate Text - W.Koechner, M.Bass

Solid State Physics: Elements of crystallography; diffraction methods for structure determination; bonding in solids; elastic properties of solids; defects in crystals; lattice vibrations and thermal properties of solids; free electron theory; band theory of solids; metals, semiconductors and insulators; transport properties; optical, dielectric and magnetic properties of solids; elements of superconductivity.
Books:Solid State Physics - Ashcroft, Neil W, Mermin, David N
Solid state physics problems and solutions - Mihaly L., Martin M.C.

Nuclear and Particle Physics: Nuclear radii and charge distributions, nuclear binding energy, Electric and magnetic moments; nuclear models, liquid drop model - semi-empirical mass formula, Fermi gas model of nucleus, nuclear shell model; nuclear force and two nucleon problem; Alpha decay, Beta-decay, electromagnetic transitions in nuclei; Rutherford scattering, nuclear reactions, conservation laws; fission and fusion; particle accelerators and detectors; elementary particles, photons, baryons, mesons and leptons; quark model.

books:An Introduction to nuclear physics - Greenwood, Cottingham
Fundamentals in Nuclear Physics - From Nuclear Structure to Cosmology - Basdevant, Rich, Spiro
Advanced Course in Modern Nuclear Physics - J. Arias, M. Lozano

Electronics: Network analysis; semiconductor devices; Bipolar Junction Transistors, Field Effect Transistors, amplifier and oscillator circuits; operational amplifier, negative feedback circuits , active filters and oscillators; rectifier circuits, regulated power supplies; basic digital logic circuits, sequential circuits, flip-flops, counters, registers, A/D and D/A conversion.
books:Boylestead,Nashelsky

what books should I use? and how should I start studying? which topics to take up first?

Physics news on Phys.org
It should only take you a few weeks to get through those.

Generally takes some 4 years, lolzz

four weeks max, JK! How much math do you know?

Your order is about correct, math first then do classical mechanics + EM first, then QM and Thermal, then the rest. Use 1 or 2 books from each section max, not all 10.

Howers said:
Your order is about correct, math first then do classical mechanics + EM first, then QM and Thermal, then the rest. Use 1 or 2 books from each section max, not all 10.

okay I will go in that order. But I want to know which book would be good for mathematical Physics for the given course? I want some with huge number of "good" problems

It seems like the maths course covers a broad-ish range of topics so I'd probably recommend a typical undergrad book like:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521679710/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Should be able to take a look at the table of contents on Amazon, it has plenty of problems and gives an introduction to most topics you'd encounter at the undergraduate level. Will probably be a good idea to build up the collection of maths books as and when you require a more advanced treatment of whatever subject.

(I'm presuming you're at undergraduate level anyway.)

Last edited by a moderator:
LithiumHelios said:
It seems like the maths course covers a broad-ish range of topics so I'd probably recommend a typical undergrad book like:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521679710/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Should be able to take a look at the table of contents on Amazon, it has plenty of problems and gives an introduction to most topics you'd encounter at the undergraduate level. Will probably be a good idea to build up the collection of maths books as and when you require a more advanced treatment of whatever subject.

(I'm presuming you're at undergraduate level anyway.)

Yeah I am at UG level! I had a look at the book at google books. Seems great. I will get it.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What subjects can I self-study using books?

There are a variety of subjects that can be self-studied using books, including maths, physics, chemistry, biology, computer science, and more. It ultimately depends on your interests and goals.

2. Can I use these books for exam preparation?

Yes, these books can be a valuable resource for exam preparation. However, it is important to also supplement your studying with other materials and practice questions.

3. How do I know which books to choose for self-study?

When choosing books for self-study, it is important to consider your current knowledge level and learning style. You may also want to consult with teachers or experts in the subject for recommendations.

4. Are there any online resources that can supplement these books?

Yes, there are many online resources such as videos, practice quizzes, and interactive simulations that can enhance your self-study experience. It is important to use a variety of resources to reinforce your understanding of the material.

5. Can self-studying using books be as effective as taking a class?

Self-studying using books can be just as effective as taking a class, but it requires self-discipline and motivation. It is important to set a schedule and stick to it, as well as actively engaging with the material and seeking help when needed.