Heating solid to high temperature

In summary: If you are heating an object that is not a black body, you will need to multiply the energy required by a correction factor. Stefan-Boltzmann law states that the power radiated from an object is proportional to the energy input. The equation for this is P_rad=Sigma*T^4*Area. If you are heating an object that is not a black body, you will need to multiply the energy required by a correction factor. Stefan-Boltzmann law states that the power radiated from an object is proportional to the energy input. The equation for this is P_rad=Sigma*T^4*Area. For heating an object in time, you first
phyzzy_physh
Hi,

I want to electrically heat a uniform block of a known material to a high temperature (about 2000 K). I want to get a rough idea of how much electrical energy I need to supply to raise the material to this temperature so as to gauge what apparatus I will need. How would I go about this?

Any help would be much appreciated :)

Thanks

Fish

Science news on Phys.org
At equilibrium the power radiated should be equal to the electrical power input.
The power radiated is given by Stefan-Boltzmann law.
P_rad=Sigma*T^4*Area
Where Sigma is the S-B constant and "Area" is the surface area of the object.
If the object is not a black body you need to multiply by a correction factor.
It will give you a minimum estimate because heat will be also lost by convection and air conduction but I suppose that at 2000 degrees the radiation will be the main factor (if the object is in air and not in some liquid).

nasu said:
At equilibrium the power radiated should be equal to the electrical power input.

This will give an estimate of the steady state power P required once the object is heated. To estimate the total energy needed, multiply the object's heat capacity C by the temperature increase [itex]\Delta T[/itex] (assuming no phase change occurs). The energy required for heating the object in time t will be between [itex]C\Delta T[/itex] and [itex]C\Delta T+Pt[/itex]. More exact estimates are possible, but this gives a good first approximation.

Hello fish, from your post I am imagining a largish metal block and difficulties in heating this electrically .Could you not use something like a furnace?If the shape,size and nature of the metal are irrelevant you could use an ordinary filament light bulb.In normal use the filament can reach temperatures in excess of 2000 degrees.

Hi guys,

Thanks for your replies; I only wanted a quick rough idea of how to work this out so they were really helpful.

Dadface, the furnace is an option but I wanted to work this out before commiting to anything. :)

Thanks again guys.

Fish

1. How does heating a solid to high temperature affect its physical properties?

When a solid is heated to high temperatures, its physical properties can change significantly. For example, it may expand in size, become more malleable, or even melt into a liquid. This is because heating causes the molecules of the solid to vibrate faster, which can weaken the bonds between them and alter the overall structure of the solid.

2. What is the maximum temperature that a solid can be heated to?

The maximum temperature that a solid can be heated to depends on its chemical composition and melting point. Some solids, such as metals, can withstand extremely high temperatures without melting, while others, such as plastics, have much lower melting points and will start to degrade at lower temperatures.

3. How does heating a solid to high temperature affect its chemical properties?

Heating a solid to high temperatures can also cause changes in its chemical properties. For example, it may react with other substances in its surroundings, undergo a phase change (e.g. from a solid to a gas), or decompose into different chemical compounds. These changes can be both beneficial (e.g. in industrial processes) and harmful (e.g. in food spoilage).

4. What are some common methods for heating solids to high temperatures?

There are several methods for heating solids to high temperatures, including direct flame heating, electric heating, and induction heating. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, and the choice of method will depend on the type of solid, the desired temperature, and the specific application.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when heating a solid to high temperature?

Yes, there are several safety precautions that should be taken when heating a solid to high temperatures. These include wearing appropriate protective gear, using proper heating equipment, and ensuring proper ventilation to prevent the buildup of harmful fumes. It is important to follow proper safety protocols to avoid any accidents or injuries.