Prove Irrationality of \log_{10}(2)

• Thread starter jgens
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the conversation discusses a proof for the irrationality of \log_{10}(2). The poster presents a valid proof using contradiction, while another contributor comments on the pedantic case of p=q=0. The original poster expresses gratitude for the feedback and learning from the conversation.
jgens
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Prove that [itex]\log_{10}(2)[/itex] is irrational.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Suppose not, then [itex]\log_{10}(2) = p/q[/itex] where p and q are integers. This implies that [itex]2 = 10^{p/q}[/itex] or similarly, [itex]2^q = 10^p[/itex]. However, this is a contradiction since each number's prime factorization is unique - [itex]2^q[/itex] contains only 2's as prime factors while [itex]10^p[/itex] contains both 2's and 5's. Therefore, our assumption that [itex]\log_{10}(2)[/itex] was rational must have been incorrect. This completes the proof.

I'm really bad at these irrationality proofs so I was wondering if someone could comment on the validity of my method. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
That looks like a perfectly valid proof to me!

Swell! Thank you very much!

this is really clever!
i would have had no idea what to have done.

This comment is probably somewhat pedantic, but I think it's worth saying anyways.

[itex]2^q = 10^p[/itex] is not quite a contradiction -- it can be satisfied when p=q=0. Of course, it's easy to derive a contradiction from that possibility.

Perhaps it's a bit pedantic but I definitely should have considered that case. Thanks for your input Hurkyl!

What does it mean for a number to be irrational?

A number is considered irrational if it cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers. In other words, an irrational number cannot be written as a fraction or a decimal that terminates or repeats.

What is \log_{10}(2)?

\log_{10}(2) is the logarithm of 2 with base 10. This means it is the exponent to which the base 10 must be raised to produce the number 2. In other words, it is the power to which 10 must be raised to equal 2.

Why is it important to prove the irrationality of \log_{10}(2)?

Proving the irrationality of \log_{10}(2) is important because it helps us understand the nature of numbers and their relationships. It also allows us to make deductions and conclusions about mathematical concepts and equations.

How was the irrationality of \log_{10}(2) proven?

The irrationality of \log_{10}(2) was proven using a proof by contradiction. This method assumes the opposite of what we are trying to prove and then shows that it leads to a contradiction. Since a contradiction cannot be true, the opposite of our assumption must be true, which in this case is the irrationality of \log_{10}(2).

What are the implications of the irrationality of \log_{10}(2)?

The irrationality of \log_{10}(2) has implications in various branches of mathematics, such as number theory, algebra, and calculus. It also has practical applications in fields such as computer science, engineering, and physics. Additionally, it helps us understand the concept of irrational numbers and their properties.