Exploring the Shift: Postgraduate Engineering Courses at Australian Universities

In summary, the speaker is currently studying engineering at an Australian university at the undergraduate level. However, the university recently announced that starting in 2012, all law, medicine, and engineering courses will only be available at the postgraduate level. This may not be a common structure globally, but it is common for medical courses in the US. The changes do not directly affect the speaker, but they are curious about the global prevalence of this course structure. They also mention that they are studying at UWA and do not see the changes as a bad thing, as it gives students more time to explore different courses and career options.
danago
Gold Member
Hey.
Im currently studying engineering at an Australian university at the undegraduate level, however the structure of the courses are all soon to change. Recently the university announced that as of 2012, all law, medicine and engineering courses will be only available at the postgraduate level once an undergraduate degree has been obtained.

Now i know that most (or all?) medical courses in the US are postgraduate so i guess the change is nothing new in that sense, however is it at all common to have engineering courses only available at the postgrad level? Is this a common thing?

The changes don't affect me directly in any way since i have already started the course, but i am still curious as to whether this is a common course structure across the globe?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you studying at UWA by any chance?
This had me worried for awhile, considering that i'd probably be entering in 2012.

Plubb said:
Are you studying at UWA by any chance?
This had me worried for awhile, considering that i'd probably be entering in 2012.

Yea I am at UWA :smile:

I don't reckon its all that bad though, especially for someone who doesn't know what they want to do. At least it gives people more time to try some courses and get more of an idea of what they might like to do as a career.

1. What are the benefits of pursuing a postgraduate engineering course at an Australian university?

Pursuing a postgraduate engineering course at an Australian university can have numerous benefits. Firstly, it allows you to gain advanced knowledge and skills in your field, making you more competitive in the job market. Additionally, many Australian universities have strong industry connections, providing opportunities for networking and potential job offers. Furthermore, studying in Australia can also expose you to diverse perspectives and cultures, enhancing your overall learning experience.

2. What are the entry requirements for postgraduate engineering courses at Australian universities?

Entry requirements for postgraduate engineering courses vary depending on the university and specific program. However, most universities require applicants to have a relevant undergraduate degree, preferably in engineering or a related field. Some programs may also require work experience or a certain GPA. It is best to check the specific requirements of each university and program before applying.

3. How long does it take to complete a postgraduate engineering course at an Australian university?

The duration of postgraduate engineering courses in Australia can range from 1-2 years for a Master's degree, and 3-4 years for a PhD. However, this can vary depending on the specific program and if the student is studying full-time or part-time. It is important to check the duration of the program before applying to ensure it fits your academic and personal goals.

4. What is the cost of studying a postgraduate engineering course at an Australian university?

The cost of studying a postgraduate engineering course at an Australian university can vary depending on the university and program. Generally, international students can expect to pay anywhere from $20,000 to $50,000 AUD per year for tuition. It is also important to consider additional costs such as living expenses and health insurance. Scholarships and funding opportunities may be available to help offset these costs.

5. Are there any specific specializations or areas of focus within postgraduate engineering courses at Australian universities?

Australian universities offer a wide range of specializations and areas of focus within postgraduate engineering courses. Some popular options include civil engineering, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, and chemical engineering. Universities may also offer more specialized programs such as biomedical engineering, environmental engineering, or aerospace engineering. It is important to research and choose a program that aligns with your interests and career goals.