Getting a more specific idea

In summary, the speaker is a first year student considering switching their major from math/secondary education to physics. They are interested in geophysics, the universe, and optics. They are seeking advice on what specific field or major to pursue based on their interests. They are also looking for guidance on their career path after graduation.
JoeRC
Hello everyone,
I'm a first year student currently majoring in math/secondary education. I've been researching different schools around my area because I have become really interested and set on switching to majoring in physics. Problem is, I want to have ,for myself, a more specific idea of what kind of physics I would like to pursue. I've been looking into geophysics which seems kind of interesting. I am absolutely enfatuated about the universe in general (I love watching the science channel and seeing different scientists trying to calculate where the dormant black holes in each universe are, all those kinds of things are extremely intrigueing to me). I am also crazy about light. Optics is a topic that I would love to know more about. I love math, and I excel at it.
I was really hoping/wondering if anyone here could point me in the right direction as to what type of field or specific major I should look into. I want to get a better plan as to what I'm going to do when I get out of school if I do switch to a physics major. If anyone has suggestions based on what I listed as my interests, please write back.
Thank you,
Joe

Physics news on Phys.org
I would not major in physics unless you are looking to get a Ph.D.

I can understand your desire to have a more specific idea of what type of physics you would like to pursue. It is important to have a clear understanding of your interests and strengths in order to make the most of your education and career in physics.

Based on the information you have provided, it seems like you have a strong interest in the universe and its mysteries, as well as a passion for optics and mathematics. These are all valuable interests to have in the field of physics, and there are many subfields that could potentially align with your passions.

One potential field to consider is astrophysics, which combines the study of the universe with the use of optics and mathematics in understanding celestial objects and phenomena. Another option could be biophysics, which uses principles of physics to study biological systems such as light in the human eye.

I would also recommend exploring the field of geophysics, as you mentioned it seemed interesting to you. This field combines physics with geology and studies the physical properties and processes of the Earth. There may be opportunities to incorporate your interest in optics within this field as well.

Ultimately, the best way to determine what type of physics you want to pursue is to continue researching different fields and talking to professionals in those fields. You may also want to consider taking courses in different areas of physics to get a better understanding of which topics you enjoy the most.

I wish you the best of luck in finding your specific area of interest within physics and in your future studies and career. Keep exploring and never stop asking questions!

1. What are some strategies for getting a more specific idea for a research project?

Some strategies for getting a more specific idea for a research project include conducting a literature review to identify gaps in existing research, brainstorming with colleagues or mentors, attending conferences or workshops, and conducting pilot studies to refine your research questions.

2. How can I narrow down a broad research topic?

To narrow down a broad research topic, you can focus on a specific population, geographical area, or time frame. You can also consider approaching the topic from a different perspective or examining a specific aspect or variable within the topic.

3. What are the benefits of having a specific research idea?

Having a specific research idea allows you to have a clear focus and direction for your project. It also makes it easier to design a study and collect data, as well as analyze and interpret the results. Additionally, a specific research idea can help you contribute to the existing body of knowledge in a more meaningful and significant way.

4. How do I know if my research idea is feasible?

To determine if your research idea is feasible, you can consider factors such as the availability of resources, time constraints, and ethical considerations. You can also consult with experts in your field and conduct a pilot study to test the feasibility of your idea.

5. What should I do if I am struggling to come up with a specific research idea?

If you are struggling to come up with a specific research idea, you can try brainstorming with colleagues or seeking advice from your mentor. You can also attend conferences or workshops to learn about current research trends and identify potential gaps in the literature. It may also be helpful to take a step back and approach the topic from a different angle or perspective.