Help Pharmacy or Math/Physics/ComputerScience or Psy?

• Thread starter mikapple
  • Start date
In summary, Mikapple is undecided on a major, but she is good at math and physics and is extremely sensitive. She also has a lot of intuition which could help her in any field she chooses.
mikapple
Time for me to decide a major, and I am stuck!

FYI, I am a girl but during the years in elementary school I was raised like a boy, so I am boyish, I did good in Math and Physics back in High School. I like to figure out relationship between number. Two math teachers told me to go for math.

But my family wanted me to go for pharmacy and I've worked & volunteered in pharmacy part time for about 4.5 years. Working at pharmacy is easy, except the fact that I am not good with names (both drugs and patients.)

Other than that, I got this instinct inside me. I don't know whether I am very good at observation of what, I can sense what a person is feeling easily. I am good with comforting words. I want to be a psychic or hypnotic if I can find a job for it.

Other info is that I am very sensitive with a lot of things, with beauties, with rights and wrongs... I have a lot of sensors all over my body. And I like to imagine and create things...

so what major should i choose?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi mikapple, welcome to PF!

Well, I believe your "psychic" abilities could be real but they aren't supernatural. It sounds like what you have is excellent http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotional_intelligence" . And those skills will help you immensely in any field you choose.

But this decision is yours. When you picture your ideal life, what are you doing? Are you working in pharmacy, or doing something more like engineering/science work?

Last edited by a moderator:
mikapple said:
FYI, I am a girl but during the years in elementary school I was raised like a boy, so I am boyish

Math/Engineering.

Medical Physics?

Pharmacy, psychology if you want to graduate and make a good living with moderate effort.

Math, physics, computer science if you want to risk potentially failing despite high effort, but make a good living and potentially change the world if you succeed.

rootX said:
Math/Engineering.

:rofl:

mikapple, your post freaked me out, you’re almost describing me!
anyways welcome to PF :smile:

Welcome Mikapple! Consider yourself "fish slapped"!

NeoDevin said:
Medical Physics?

Good advice. You want want to ask Choppy about the field in the academic guidance or career guidance sections (or read some of his responses in other pre-existing threads). Most non-academic physics employment ads I see lately are in the field. I think you usually have to get an MS.

My advise is to try to take classes in all those subjects in your first year.

We can't tell you what major to choose. You should choose the one you like best. However, I think your ability to understand people's feelings and to be comforting with words would make you very well suited for any profession where you deal with people. You may be less interested in careers such as research where you work more independently, and rather ones where you work with a lot of other people, perhaps even a health profession. It has nothing to do with being psychic, but is a skill that is hard to teach, so having a natural talent for it is really helpful.

Thank you all for answering. : )

1. What is the difference between Pharmacy and Math/Physics/Computer Science/Psychology?

Pharmacy is a health science that focuses on the safe and effective use of medications. It involves studying drugs, their interactions with the body, and how to properly dispense them to patients. Math, Physics, Computer Science, and Psychology are all different fields of science that use mathematical principles and methods to understand and solve problems in their respective areas. While there may be some overlap in the use of math and technology in both Pharmacy and these fields, they have different focuses and applications.

2. Is Pharmacy a good major for someone interested in Math/Physics/Computer Science/Psychology?

While Pharmacy and these other fields may seem unrelated, there are actually many areas where they intersect. For example, pharmacometrics uses mathematical and statistical models to analyze drug data, and computational chemistry uses computer science to simulate and study drug interactions. Additionally, pharmacogenomics, which studies how genes affect drug responses, relies heavily on knowledge of genetics and biology. As such, Pharmacy can be a good major for someone interested in these other fields, as it provides a strong foundation in the biological sciences while also incorporating elements of math, physics, and computer science.

3. Can I study Pharmacy and Math/Physics/Computer Science/Psychology at the same time?

It is possible to combine Pharmacy with one or more of these other fields, but it may require additional coursework and a longer time to complete both degrees. Some universities offer dual-degree programs that allow students to earn a PharmD (Doctor of Pharmacy) and another degree simultaneously. For those interested in pursuing a career in research, obtaining a PhD in one of these fields after completing a PharmD program is also an option.

4. What kind of job opportunities are available for someone with a degree in Pharmacy and Math/Physics/Computer Science/Psychology?

With a degree in Pharmacy, you can work in a variety of settings, such as community or hospital pharmacies, pharmaceutical companies, research labs, and government agencies. Having knowledge in one of these other fields can open up additional job opportunities, such as working as a pharmacometrician, computational chemist, or pharmacogenomics researcher. You may also be able to work on interdisciplinary teams that tackle complex problems in the healthcare and pharmaceutical industries.

5. Can I switch from studying Pharmacy to Math/Physics/Computer Science/Psychology (or vice versa) in the middle of my undergraduate degree?

This will depend on the specific requirements and policies of the university and program you are enrolled in. Some universities may allow you to switch majors within the same college or school, while others may require you to apply to a different program or college. It is important to consult with an academic advisor to determine the feasibility of switching majors and to ensure that you will still be able to graduate within a reasonable timeframe.