Im 52 - is it too late to stucy physics

• Thread starter pmgathome
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation is about someone who is interested in studying math and physics and is wondering if it's too late for them to pursue it for personal satisfaction. The responses assure them that it's never too late to study and even share personal experiences of studying at an older age. The original poster is encouraged to go for it and mentions enrolling in January with the OU.
pmgathome
Hi all

As title. I would love to think that I can still do this as I have the time now that I never had. I understand maths and the basics of physics and spend a lot of time ready various physics books but have I left it just too late.

Dont want to do this for any other reason than personal satisfaction

Cheers all

Physics news on Phys.org
Study as in independent study? Nope! You can do that at any age :) Heck, even if you wanted to get a degree I wouldn't say it's too late if it was for satisfaction. The only problem with age that people usually come up against is if they're over 40 and want to complete a PhD to become a professor; they two problems being that PhDs take a LONG time and professorships are extremely limited in number. But you should fine. Good luck in your studies!

Go for it! You're a few years younger than me and I'm a sophomore physics major.

I just finished an MS in physics at 47. We're the same age to one significant figure.

HI all
Thanks for the positive encouragement. I will be enrolling to start in January with the OU

Regards
Peter

1. Is 52 too old to start studying physics?

No, age is not a barrier to learning new things. People of all ages can study and understand physics.

2. Will my age affect my ability to understand complex physics concepts?

No, age does not necessarily affect one's ability to understand complex concepts. As long as you have a strong foundation in math and a willingness to learn, you can understand and excel in physics.

3. Can I still have a career in physics at 52 years old?

Yes, there are many opportunities for people of all ages in the field of physics. You can pursue a career in research, teaching, or industry, among others.

4. Do I need to have a background in physics to start studying at 52?

No, while a background in physics or related fields can be helpful, it is not a requirement to start studying physics at 52. With dedication and hard work, you can learn and understand the fundamentals of physics.

5. Will it take me longer to learn physics at 52 compared to someone younger?

It may take longer to learn physics at 52 compared to someone younger, but it is not impossible. Your life experiences and maturity can also be advantageous in understanding and applying physics concepts.