Fluid Streamline Vector Problem

In summary, the fluid streamline vector is different from the usual position vector because it is an instantaneous, geometric feature of the velocity field, while the position vector is the path a particular particle traces out over time. In fluid dynamics, the streamline vector is obtained by taking the equipotential derivative with respect to x, which is different from the usual partial derivative. This is due to the fact that streamlines and particle paths only coincide when the velocity field is stationary.
danong
I have a question regarding fluid streamline vector,
why is it different from the usual position vector when you take the partial derivative of it in order to obtain the grad of it?

For position vector you take partial derivative and obtain the vector along (for say) a curve.
But in fluid dynamics,
instead of taking partial derivative directly with respect to x, to obtain U(i-vector),
you take the equipotential derivative with respect to x, which is so different from the previous case,
why is it?Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
danong said:
I have a question regarding fluid streamline vector,
why is it different from the usual position vector when you take the partial derivative of it in order to obtain the grad of it?

For position vector you take partial derivative and obtain the vector along (for say) a curve.
But in fluid dynamics,
instead of taking partial derivative directly with respect to x, to obtain U(i-vector),
you take the equipotential derivative with respect to x, which is so different from the previous case,
why is it?

Thanks in advance.

Well streamlines, particle paths (and for that matter, dye lines), are entirely different concepts.

The streamlines is an instantaneous, geometric feature of the velocity FIELD, i.e, the set of curves that can be traced out by regarding the local velocities as tangent vectors to those curves. The particle path is the path a particular particle traces out OVER time.

Only if the velocity field is STATIONARY (i.e, does not locally change over time) will the streamlines and particle paths coincide.

arildno : Thanks for the clear explanation, i'd finally understood the concept with your help!

danong said:
arildno : Thanks for the clear explanation, i'd finally understood the concept with your help!
My pleasure!
:smile:

1. What is a fluid streamline vector problem?

A fluid streamline vector problem is a mathematical representation of the flow of a fluid in a particular system. It involves calculating the direction and magnitude of fluid flow at different points in the system using vector analysis.

2. What factors affect fluid streamline vector problems?

Several factors can affect fluid streamline vector problems, including the viscosity of the fluid, the geometry of the system, and the boundary conditions. These factors can influence the magnitude and direction of fluid flow and must be considered when solving the problem.

3. How are fluid streamline vector problems solved?

Fluid streamline vector problems are typically solved using mathematical equations and vector analysis techniques. This involves breaking down the problem into smaller parts and solving for the direction and magnitude of fluid flow at each point in the system. Software programs and computational fluid dynamics techniques can also be used to solve these problems.

4. What are some real-world applications of fluid streamline vector problems?

Fluid streamline vector problems have a wide range of applications in various industries, including aerodynamics, hydrodynamics, and chemical engineering. They are used to optimize fluid flow in pipes, pumps, and turbines, improve aerodynamic design in airplanes and cars, and analyze the efficiency of heat exchangers, among others.

5. What are the limitations of fluid streamline vector problems?

Fluid streamline vector problems have some limitations, including assumptions made in the mathematical model, the complexity of the system, and the accuracy of input data. These problems may also have multiple solutions, and it can be challenging to determine the most accurate one. Additionally, fluid streamline vector problems may not accurately predict real-world scenarios due to the simplifications made in the mathematical model.