Spinning artificial gravity proof

In summary, the spinning-room-artificial-gravity works by creating a centrifugal force that mimics the effects of gravity on objects inside the room. However, this force is affected by the Coriolis effect, meaning that objects may not land in the same spot when jumping. To reach the center of the wheel, one must aim slightly backward to cancel out the motion of the wheel.
Mad_Eye
can someone explain to me how can it be proof that the spinning-room-artificial-gravity, actually works?

i mean, that if you take a huge wheel-like room, and spin it in the right velocity, the people inside will experience something that feels like gravity.

well, I've mange to understand that easily when one is standing.. but what about jumping for example? if the person inside is jumping up, will he land and the same spot (relatively to the wheel of course) he was jumping from?

embarrassing as it is, i didn't succeed to proof it (or deny it).

so if someone can show me how is it proofed, and also what happen if jumping over the center of the wheel, or exactly to the center of the wheel... i'd be glad

thank you very much :D

Physics news on Phys.org
Mad_Eye said:
can someone explain to me how can it be proof that the spinning-room-artificial-gravity, actually works?
What do you mean by "proof" and "actually works"? Newtons laws and the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centrifugal_force_%28rotating_reference_frame%29" [Broken] are well understood. You can do your own experiments.
Mad_Eye said:
well, I've mange to understand that easily when one is standing.. but what about jumping for example? if the person inside is jumping up, will he land and the same spot (relatively to the wheel of course) he was jumping from?
No, the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coriolis_effect" [Broken] will affect it. This happens on the rotating Earth too.
Mad_Eye said:
also what happen if jumping over the center of the wheel, or exactly to the center of the wheel.
Well as you can see here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centrifugal_force_(rotating_reference_frame)
the centrifugal force is zero at the center and increases with distance to it. In the center you will float. If you jump to the center and have some speed left you get to the other side.

Last edited by a moderator:
that's what I've meant, that jumping etc will bring you back to where you started...

anyway, i can't find in your links a proof that jumping will not bring you back to the point you left the ground (neither something similar)...

another way to look at it is if you are standing on a moving platform and you jump you don't suddenly stop you continue moving at that speed until air resistance or another force slows you down.

Mad_Eye said:

embarrassing as it is, i didn't succeed to proof it (or deny it).

so if someone can show me how is it proofed, and also what happen if jumping over the center of the wheel, or exactly to the center of the wheel... i'd be glad

thank you very much :D

You should imagine how this happens when viewed by a stationary observer. If somebody jumps toward the centre, it's obvious they'll travel in a perfect straight line at a perfectly constant speed.

But you have to remember they're also launched sideways with the addition of the instantaneous velocity from the moving wall. So if they aim for the centre, they'll definitely miss it, just because of their sideways velocity which came from being in contact with the wall. To get to the centre they have to aim slightly backward to exactly cancel out the motion of the wall/wheel.

1. How does spinning create artificial gravity?

The spinning motion of an object creates a centrifugal force, which is perceived as gravity by objects within the spinning system.

2. Is there any evidence to support the effectiveness of spinning for artificial gravity?

Yes, there have been several experiments conducted on astronauts in space stations that have shown the effects of spinning on creating artificial gravity.

3. What is the ideal speed for spinning to create artificial gravity?

The ideal speed for spinning depends on the size and mass of the object. Generally, a speed of 2 to 3 revolutions per minute is sufficient to create a comfortable level of artificial gravity.

4. Can spinning create the same level of gravity as on Earth?

No, spinning can only create a fraction of the gravity on Earth. The amount of artificial gravity created depends on the speed and size of the spinning object.

5. Are there any potential risks or side effects of using spinning for artificial gravity?

There can be some risks associated with spinning for artificial gravity, such as motion sickness or disorientation, but these can be minimized with proper training and acclimation to the spinning environment.