Finding Mass of Block from Friction Coefficient

In summary, the problem involves a block of mass m resting on a 20 degree slope with coefficients of friction \mus=0.80 and \muk=0.50. It is connected to a hanging block of mass 2.0 kg via a massless string over a massless, frictionless pulley. The question asks for the minimum mass m that will stick and not slip. Through solving for the net force and considering the unknown forces on the m block, the correct answer is found to be m=1.8267 kg.
merzperson
*SOLVED*

Homework Statement

Figure shows a block of mass m resting on a 20 degree slope. The block has coefficients of friction [tex]\mu[/tex]s=0.80 and [tex]\mu[/tex]k=0.50 with the surface. It is connected via a massless string over a massless, frictionless pulley to a hanging block of mass 2.0 kg.

knight_Figure_08_36.jpg

What is the minimum mass m that will stick and not slip?

Homework Equations

Fs = [tex]\mu[/tex]s * mg
F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

The force of the 2kg block on the rope is 2 * 9.8 = 19.6N

Since the m block is not moving, this means that the 2kg block is also not moving, so the force of the rope on the 2kg block is also 19.6N to make the net force 0.

This also means that the force of the rope on m block is 19.6N

I know that there are 3 unknown forces on m block: Earth on the block, normal force, and static friction. The y-component and normal force cancel out so we are left with the x-component of the force of the Earth on the block and the friction force.

mg sin(20) - mg cos(20) * 0.8 = 19.6N

Solve for m. I got m=4.88kg which was wrong. I am lost as to where I might have messed up. It seems like I'm making this problem more complicated than it is.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
merzperson said:
mg sin(20) + mg cos(20) * 0.8 = 19.6N
m=1.8267??

You got it my man.

1. How do you determine the friction coefficient of a block?

To determine the friction coefficient of a block, you need to first measure the mass of the block and the force needed to move the block across a surface at a constant speed. Then, use the formula μ = F/m, where μ is the friction coefficient, F is the force, and m is the mass of the block.

2. What equipment do I need to find the mass of a block from the friction coefficient?

You will need a block, a flat surface, a force measuring device such as a spring scale, and a method for measuring the mass of the block, such as a balance or scale.

3. What is the purpose of finding the mass of a block from the friction coefficient?

Finding the mass of a block from the friction coefficient can help determine the weight or density of the block, and can also be used to compare the properties of different materials or surfaces.

4. How does surface texture affect the friction coefficient of a block?

Surface texture can greatly affect the friction coefficient of a block. Rougher surfaces tend to have a higher friction coefficient, while smoother surfaces have a lower friction coefficient. This is because rougher surfaces have more points of contact and therefore more resistance to movement.

5. Can the friction coefficient change over time?

Yes, the friction coefficient can change over time due to factors such as wear and tear, changes in temperature or humidity, or the presence of lubricants. It is important to regularly check and re-measure the friction coefficient to ensure accurate results.