How Do You Simplify 4√(sin(π/4))?

In summary, to solve 4\sqrt{\sin(\pi/4)}, you first simplify to 2\sqrt{2\sqrt{2}}, and then use the exponent rule to get the final answer of 2^{\frac{7}{4}}.
2h2o
I've come across this before, but for the life of me can't seem to get anywhere with it. I can plug this into technology and get an answer (and then move on...), but I want to know how to do it without.

An example problem:

[tex]4\sqrt{\sin(\pi/4)}[/tex]

I get as far as

[tex]2\sqrt{2\sqrt{2}} = 2(2(2)^\frac{1}{2})^\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

but then I run out of steam and don't see the next step. Surely it is something simple that I am missing, but I just don't see it.

Thanks for any tips. Cheers!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I don't know what you're asking, but since [tex]2\sqrt{2}=\sqrt{8}[/tex], it equals two times the quartic root of 8...

I have [tex]\sqrt{8}[/tex] as an intermediate step in my work.

[tex]

4\sqrt{\sin(\pi/4)} = \sqrt{\frac{16\sqrt{2}}{2}} = \sqrt{8\sqrt{2}} = \sqrt{4*2\sqrt{2}} = 2\sqrt{2\sqrt{2}}

[/tex]

When I plug into technology, I get the answer:

[tex]

2*2^\frac{3}{4}

[/tex]

but I don't know how to get there. That's what I'm asking; sorry for being unclear.

Well, yeah.

Going with my two times quartic root of 8 solution, since 8 is 2 cubed, the quartic root of 8 is 2 to the three-fourths power, and the number simplifies to your number.

Of course. Thank you very much! I definitely should've seen that! :)

Cheers.

2h2o said:
I've come across this before, but for the life of me can't seem to get anywhere with it. I can plug this into technology and get an answer (and then move on...), but I want to know how to do it without.

An example problem:

[tex]4\sqrt{\sin(\pi/4)}[/tex]

I get as far as

[tex]2\sqrt{2\sqrt{2}} = 2(2(2)^\frac{1}{2})^\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

but then I run out of steam and don't see the next step. Surely it is something simple that I am missing, but I just don't see it.

Thanks for any tips. Cheers!

When you multiply a two numbers with the same base, the exponents add. So,

[tex] 2(2^{1}*2^{\frac{1}{2}})^{\frac{1}{2}} = 2(2^{1+\frac{1}{2}})^{\frac{1}{2}} = 2(2^{\frac{3}{2}*\frac{1}{2}}) = 2*2^{\frac{3}{4}} [/tex]

1. What is the meaning of "simplifying" in this context?

In mathematics, simplifying refers to the process of reducing an expression or equation to its most basic form, often by combining like terms or using algebraic rules.

2. How do I simplify 4√(sin(π/4))?

To simplify this expression, we first need to use the identity sin(π/4) = 1/√2. This gives us 4√(1/√2). Next, we can simplify the square root by multiplying the numerator and denominator by √2, resulting in 4√(2/2). Finally, we can simplify further to get 4√2/2, which simplifies to 2√2.

3. Can I simplify further if I have a different number inside the square root?

Yes, you can simplify expressions with different numbers inside the square root using similar steps. First, try to simplify the number inside the square root, if possible. Then, use algebraic rules to simplify the expression further.

4. Is there a specific order I should follow when simplifying expressions?

Yes, there are certain rules and guidelines to follow when simplifying expressions. These include simplifying any numbers inside the square root, combining like terms, and using algebraic rules such as the distributive property and the commutative property.

5. Why is it important to simplify expressions?

Simplifying expressions can help make complex equations and problems more manageable and easier to solve. It can also help us see patterns and relationships within the expression, leading to a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts.