Can complex numbers be used to show a pattern in exponents?

In summary, the problem asks to find which values of n result in (1 - sqrt(3)i)^n being real and positive. These values of n form an arithmetic progression, which can be shown using de Moivre's Theorem. The base case of n=1 contradicts the statement, making it clearer to understand that the problem is asking for complex values of n. The problem could have been better phrased as "show that those n such that (1 - i\sqrt{3})^n are real and positive form an arithmetic progression."
icystrike

Homework Statement

Given that [tex](1-\sqrt{3}i)^{n}[/tex] is real and positive , use de Moivre's Theorem to show that the values of n are terms of arithmetic progression.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've worked it out . n=3k s.t k element of positive integers.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure you have given us the problem exactly as stated? My guess is that they're asking you to show that the values of (1 - sqrt(3)i)n are terms of an arithmetic progression. As you've stated the problem it doesn't make much sense.

Mark44 said:
Are you sure you have given us the problem exactly as stated? My guess is that they're asking you to show that the values of (1 - sqrt(3)i)n are terms of an arithmetic progression. As you've stated the problem it doesn't make much sense.

Hi Mark! I've checked with the question again , and its exactly what I've stated.

OK - just checking. Apparently the problem asks you to find which values of n are such that (1 - sqrt(3)i)^n are real and positive. What is 1 - sqrt(3)i in polar form? That should help you figure out a lot more easily what the powers of 1 - sqrt(3)i look like.

Mark44 said:
OK - just checking. Apparently the problem asks you to find which values of n are such that (1 - sqrt(3)i)^n are real and positive. What is 1 - sqrt(3)i in polar form? That should help you figure out a lot more easily what the powers of 1 - sqrt(3)i look like.

yeap. I've worked it out in my attempted solution and I'm convinced that it is a arithmetic progression as n has 0 as first term and 3 as common difference for each term.

Not quite.

The question is asking for when it's real and positive. Since 2n is always positive for natural n, then you are searching for when the complex part has an argument of 0. i.e. [itex]\theta=2k\pi[/itex] where k is all integers.

You can even see for yourself that for n=3 the value of [tex]\left(1-\sqrt{3}i\right)^3[/tex] is real, but negative.

icystrike said:
yeap. I've worked it out in my attempted solution and I'm convinced that it is a arithmetic progression as n has 0 as first term and 3 as common difference for each term.
You still don't understand what Mark44 was asking.

In your original post, you gave a complex number to the "n" power and asked to "show that the values of n are terms of arithmetic progression."

Well, that's trivial! The values of n are 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ..., with common difference 1!

HallsofIvy said:
You still don't understand what Mark44 was asking.

In your original post, you gave a complex number to the "n" power and asked to "show that the values of n are terms of arithmetic progression."

Well, that's trivial! The values of n are 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ..., with common difference 1!
1, 2, 3, ... don't work in the problem as I understand it. IMO the problem is poorly stated and misleading. A better restatement of the problem might be "For what n is the expression (1 - sqrt(3)i)n real and positive? Show that these values of n form an arithmetic progression."

I believe the question was clear enough. It first mentions that [tex](1-\sqrt{3})^n[/tex] is real and positive, which obviously indicates that n is not all natural numbers. Then it goes on to say show that the values of n are in arithmetic progression.
Shouldn't be confusing whatsoever in my opinion.

I still maintain that the problem could have been clearer if rephrased. "Given that (1 - i*sqrt(3))^n is real and positive, ..." would cause one to reasonably infer that this statement was true for integer values of n, or possibly just nonnegative integer values.

Mark44 said:
would cause one to reasonably infer that this statement was true for integer values of n

Maybe for someone without a basic knowledge of complex numbers and exponentials, but this is untrue for everyone that has posted in this thread.

Also, I believe that realizing the base case of natural numbers n=1 contradicts the statement that [itex](1-i\sqrt{3})^n[/itex] is real and positive would be easier than having to make some reasonable judgement on what the question is saying.

... I stand by my statement that it's obvious what the question was asking.

Ah, thanks to both Mark44 and Mentallic. I completely misunderstood the problem. It might be better phrased "show that those n such that [itex](1- i\sqrt{3})^n[/itex] are real and positive form an arithmetic progression".

Mentallic said:
Maybe for someone without a basic knowledge of complex numbers and exponentials, but this is untrue for everyone that has posted in this thread.

Also, I believe that realizing the base case of natural numbers n=1 contradicts the statement that [itex](1-i\sqrt{3})^n[/itex] is real and positive would be easier than having to make some reasonable judgement on what the question is saying.

... I stand by my statement that it's obvious what the question was asking.

HallsOfIvy said:
Ah, thanks to both Mark44 and Mentallic. I completely misunderstood the problem. It might be better phrased "show that those n such that [itex](1- i\sqrt{3})^n[/itex] are real and positive form an arithmetic progression".

I rest my case.:biggrin:

HallsofIvy said:
Mentallic said:
Mark44 said:
would cause one to reasonably infer that this statement was true for integer values of n
I guess I was wrong...

Haha just kidding :wink:

What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that have both a real and an imaginary component. They are typically written in the form a+bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part (with i representing the square root of -1).

What are the applications of complex numbers?

Complex numbers have numerous applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are used in the study of electrical circuits, quantum mechanics, signal processing, and many other fields.

How do you add and subtract complex numbers?

To add or subtract complex numbers, you simply combine the real parts and the imaginary parts separately. For example, (3+2i) + (5+4i) = (3+5) + (2i+4i) = 8+6i.

Can complex numbers be multiplied and divided?

Yes, complex numbers can be multiplied and divided just like real numbers. To multiply, you use the FOIL method (First, Outer, Inner, Last) and combine like terms. To divide, you use the complex conjugate (flip the sign of the imaginary part) and simplify.

What is the geometric interpretation of complex numbers?

Complex numbers can be represented on a two-dimensional plane, with the real part corresponding to the x-axis and the imaginary part corresponding to the y-axis. This allows for the interpretation of complex numbers as points or vectors in the complex plane.