Density Formula for Moving Particles

In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of density for a moving object and the different kinds of mass in relativity. It was mentioned that the density formula for rest mass may not apply for a moving object, and the use of Einstein's General Theory of Relativity was suggested. Additionally, it was pointed out that the density of the object may appear to increase from the viewpoint of an external observer, but it ultimately depends on the purpose for which the density is being used.
FeDeX_LaTeX
Gold Member
Hello;

I know that the formula for density is mass/volume. However, this is only true for rest mass. What about when the particle is moving?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
This opens up the whole can of worms about the different kinds of mass in relativity. I suppose the answer would depend on what you want to use the density of the moving object for.

Mass increases with velocity, right?

Do I have to use Einstein's General Theory of Relativity and somehow use that with my original density formula? I'm confused

Note that the particle itself would not know if it is moving or not, unless it was being accelerated. So according to the particle, it's density would not increase.
However, from the viewpoint of an external observer, it could be said that the density of the object had, in a way, increased.

In the end, whether this density is what would fit in with your usual concept of density or not, depends on what you want to use it for, as jtbell said.

However, from the viewpoint of an external observer, it could be said that the density of the object had, in a way, increased.

I don't get it... what do you mean by this?

1. What is the density formula for moving particles?

The density formula for moving particles is given by the mass of the particles divided by the volume they occupy. It can be represented as ρ = m/V, where ρ is density, m is mass, and V is volume.

2. What is the unit for density in the formula for moving particles?

The unit for density in the formula for moving particles is kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m³).

3. Can the density formula be used for both solids and liquids?

Yes, the density formula can be used for both solids and liquids as long as the mass and volume are measured in the appropriate units (kg and m³).

4. How does temperature affect the density of moving particles?

Temperature can affect the density of moving particles as it can cause changes in the volume of a substance. In general, as the temperature of a substance increases, its volume also increases, resulting in a decrease in density. However, this is not always the case as there are some exceptions, such as water, which has a higher density at 4°C compared to 0°C.

5. Is the density of moving particles a constant value?

No, the density of moving particles is not a constant value. It can vary depending on factors such as temperature, pressure, and the composition of the particles. For example, the density of air is different at sea level compared to at high altitudes due to the change in pressure. Additionally, different substances have different densities due to their varying masses and volumes.