Dimensional Analysis and wave theory

In summary, according to wave theory, the speed of propagation of a wave is determined by the density of the fluid it travels through, the wavelength of the wave, and the surface tension of the fluid. Using dimensional analysis, it can be shown that the velocity of a capillary wave is dependent on the density and surface tension of the fluid, as well as the wavelength of the wave. The values for this relation have been calculated to be x=-0.5, y=-0.5, and z=0.5.
roam

Homework Statement

From Wave theory it is found that the only properties of the wave and the medium that the wave travels across that may determine the speed of propagation of the wave v are the density ρ of the fluid the wave travels across, the wavelength λ of the wave, and the surface tension S of the fluid. Given that k is a dimensionless constant, find the dependence of the velocity of the capillary wave on the density and surface tension of the fluid and the wavelength of the wave using dimensional analysis. I.e., find the values x, y, z in the relation v = k ρx λy Sz.

The answer should be [tex]x=-0.5, y=-0.5, z=0.5[/tex].

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]v=k \rho^x \lambda^y s^z[/tex]

· λ is the wavelength so it has dimension L.

· ρ is the density which is mass/volume, so it has dimension [tex]\frac{m}{L^3}[/tex].

· S is the tension which is a force, using the formula F=ma we can see that it has dimension [tex]m \frac{L}{T^2}[/tex].

· v is the velocity and has dimension [tex]\frac{L}{T}[/tex].

So

[tex]\frac{L}{T}=(\frac{m}{L^3})^x (L)^y (m\frac{L}{T^2})^z[/tex]

Is this correct so far? And how do I need to continue? I tried multiplying the terms together and then equating it with LHS to figure out the x,y,z but this doesn't seem to work.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes that should work. But remember that (a/b)n=an/bn.

So redo the m/L3 and L/T2

What do you mean by redoing m/L3 and L/T2? L/T2 is the dimension for acceleration & I believe m/L3 should be dimension for density.

roam said:
What do you mean by redoing m/L3 and L/T2? L/T2 is the dimension for acceleration & I believe m/L3 should be dimension for density.

ρx=(m/L3)x=mx/L3x, not mx/L3

rock.freak667 said:
ρx=(m/L3)x=mx/L3x, not mx/L3

[tex]\frac{L}{T}= \frac{m^x}{L^{3x}}.L^y.m^z \left( \frac{L^z}{T^{2z}} \right)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{L}{T}= \frac{m^xL^ym^zL^z}{L^{3x}T^{2z}}[/tex]

So, I have these equations

x+z =0
y+z=1
2z=1
3x=0

From the third one it is clear that z=0.5 (correct answer). Since z=0.5, then from the first equation x=-0.5 (correct answer). The last equation doesn't make any sense because [tex]x \neq 0[/tex]. And the second equation gives y=0.5 but this wrong since y must be -0.5.

Is there anything wrong with what I'm doing?

You should only get three equations, your second equation should be

y+z-3x=0.

bring all the Ls to the numerator.

1. What is dimensional analysis and how is it used in wave theory?

Dimensional analysis is a mathematical tool used to analyze and understand the relationships between physical quantities and their units. In wave theory, it is used to determine the dimensions and units of different wave properties, such as frequency, wavelength, and amplitude.

2. How does dimensional analysis help in solving problems related to waves?

Dimensional analysis helps in solving problems related to waves by providing a systematic approach to converting between different units and determining the relationships between different wave properties. It also allows for the identification of any missing or incorrect variables in a problem.

3. Can dimensional analysis be applied to all types of waves?

Yes, dimensional analysis can be applied to all types of waves, including electromagnetic waves, sound waves, and water waves. It is a universal tool that can be used to analyze and understand the properties of any type of wave.

4. How is dimensional analysis related to the fundamental principles of wave theory?

Dimensional analysis is related to the fundamental principles of wave theory in that it helps to establish and understand the relationships between different wave properties, such as frequency, wavelength, and velocity. It also allows for the derivation of important equations, such as the wave equation and the equation for wave speed.

5. What are some real-world applications of dimensional analysis and wave theory?

Dimensional analysis and wave theory have numerous real-world applications, including in the fields of acoustics, optics, and engineering. They are used to design and optimize devices such as microphones, loudspeakers, and antennas. They are also used in the study of natural phenomena, such as seismic waves and ocean waves.