Eddington luminosity for star made out of protons

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a star composed entirely of protons and the relationship between luminosity, radiation pressure, and gravity. It is mentioned that the luminosity would have to be greater than the Eddington luminosity for the star to blow itself apart. However, without knowledge of the star's mass or radius, it is difficult to calculate the exact luminosity needed.
gamer3999
Imagine that a star could be composed entirely of protons so that Thomson scattering by protons dominated the stellar opacity. How luminous, in [tex]L_{\odot}[/tex], would the star have to be to blow itself apart by radiation pressure?

I know that the luminosity has to be greater than the eddington luminosity so that radiation pressure is greater that gravity.

The equation I have for scattering for protons is [tex] \sigma_{T} = \frac{1*C^2}{6\pi}* (\frac{p^2}{(m_{p} * c^2)})^2[/tex]

This gives me [tex]3.90 * 10^{-35} meters^2[/tex]

The eddington luminosity equation is then [tex] L = \frac{4\pi*G*(m_{p}*C*mass of star)}{\sigma_{T}} [/tex]

The problem is that I wasn't given a mass or radius for the star, so I'm stuck.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I know that the luminosity has to be greater than the eddington luminosity, but I'm not sure how to calculate it without having a mass or radius.

1. What is the Eddington luminosity for a star made out of protons?

The Eddington luminosity is a limit on the maximum luminosity that a star can achieve, based on the balance between the outward pressure of radiation and the inward force of gravity. For a star made out of protons, the Eddington luminosity would depend on the mass and radius of the star, as well as the opacity and temperature of the star's interior.

2. How is the Eddington luminosity calculated for a star made out of protons?

The Eddington luminosity can be calculated using the Eddington limit equation, which takes into account the star's mass, radius, opacity, and temperature. It is important to note that the Eddington luminosity for a star made out of protons may be different from that of a star made out of other elements due to differences in their properties.

3. What happens to a star made out of protons when it reaches its Eddington luminosity?

If a star made out of protons reaches its Eddington luminosity, it will undergo a drastic change in its structure and behavior. The intense radiation pressure will cause the outer layers of the star to expand and the core to contract, resulting in a change in the star's luminosity and temperature. This process is known as the Eddington limit or Eddington instability.

4. Can a star made out of protons exceed its Eddington luminosity?

No, a star made out of protons cannot exceed its Eddington luminosity. The Eddington limit is a fundamental physical limit that cannot be surpassed. If a star were to exceed its Eddington luminosity, it would result in a catastrophic event, such as a supernova explosion.

5. How does the Eddington luminosity for a star made out of protons compare to other types of stars?

The Eddington luminosity for a star made out of protons may vary depending on the star's mass, radius, and other properties. However, in general, the Eddington luminosity for a star made out of protons may be lower than that of other types of stars, such as neutron stars or white dwarfs, due to differences in their compositions and structures.