Having difficulty understanding what the Range of a linear transformation is.

In summary, the conversation discusses the topics of kernel and range of a linear transformation, with the speaker having a firm understanding of the kernel but remaining unsure about the range. The textbook defines the range as the set of all vectors in W that are images under T of at least one vector in V. The speaker asks for clarification on what it means to be "an image under T" and receives a detailed explanation. It is noted that the range and image are the same thing, but the codomain may not be.
phantomcow2
One of the topics in my linear algebra course is kernel and range of a linear transformation. I have a firm understanding of what the kernel is: the set of vectors such that it maps all inputs to the zero vector. Range, however, remains nebulous to me. My textbook says that the range is "THe set of all vectors in W that are images under T of at least one vector in V."

I'm not sure what it means to be "an image under T." Could somebody explain this to me? I'd just like to have this concept clarified. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
phantomcow2 said:
One of the topics in my linear algebra course is kernel and range of a linear transformation. I have a firm understanding of what the kernel is: the set of vectors such that it maps all inputs to the zero vector. Range, however, remains nebulous to me. My textbook says that the range is "THe set of all vectors in W that are images under T of at least one vector in V."

I'm not sure what it means to be "an image under T." Could somebody explain this to me? I'd just like to have this concept clarified. Thanks.

See the attachment.

Attachments

• pfhelp2.pdf
    17 KB · Views: 245
Wow, that is a wordy explanation and exactly what I needed. Thanks :).

The range and image are the same thing. But the codomain isn't. If a mapping is surjective, then they're all the same set, but in general, not.

The range of a linear transformation refers to the set of all output vectors that can be obtained by applying the transformation to at least one input vector. In other words, it is the set of all possible values that the transformation can produce.

To better understand this concept, let's consider an example. Imagine we have a linear transformation that takes a 2D vector and rotates it by 90 degrees counterclockwise. The range of this transformation would be all possible 2D vectors that can be obtained by rotating any input vector by 90 degrees counterclockwise. So, the range would include vectors such as (1,0), (0,1), (-1,0), (0,-1) and all their combinations.

The term "image under T" refers to the output vector that is obtained after applying the transformation T to a specific input vector. In our example, the image under T of the vector (1,0) would be (-1,0) since that is the result of rotating (1,0) by 90 degrees counterclockwise.

I hope this explanation clarifies the concept of range for you. It is an important concept in linear algebra as it helps us understand the full scope of a linear transformation and its capabilities.

1. What is the range of a linear transformation?

The range of a linear transformation refers to the set of all possible output values that can be obtained by applying the transformation to the input values. In other words, it is the collection of all possible outputs that the transformation can produce.

2. How is the range of a linear transformation different from its domain?

The domain of a linear transformation is the set of all possible input values, while the range is the set of all possible output values. The domain and range are related, but they serve different purposes in describing the behavior of a linear transformation.

3. Why is it important to understand the range of a linear transformation?

Understanding the range of a linear transformation is important because it allows us to determine the set of all possible outcomes of the transformation. This can be useful in various applications, such as in solving systems of linear equations or in analyzing the behavior of a system.

4. How can I determine the range of a linear transformation?

The range of a linear transformation can be determined by applying the transformation to all possible input values and observing the resulting output values. In some cases, it may also be possible to determine the range algebraically by analyzing the properties of the transformation.

5. Are there any limitations to the range of a linear transformation?

Yes, there are some limitations to the range of a linear transformation. For example, the range may be restricted by the properties of the transformation or by the constraints of the problem being solved. Additionally, the range may be limited by the precision of the input values or by the limitations of the measuring instruments used to obtain the input values.