What happens when the integrand approaches zero in an integral?

• Thread starter webbster
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the conversation is about handling the approach of zero in an integral, specifically in the case of a dummy variable. The experts explain that when evaluating the integral, the result will not depend on the dummy variable anymore, but rather on the upper and lower bounds. They also clarify that there is no variable to take the limit of in this scenario. The conversation also touches on the concept of removing the dependence of the integrator variable after integration.
webbster
Hi All,

i got a short question. if i have an integral an let the integrand approach zero, how do i handle that?

e.g.:
[int][tex]\int_a^b \! f(c+x) \, dx.[/tex]

what happens if lim(x->0) ?
Maple still computes the integral as if nothing has happened...

thanks all

edit: can't get the integral sign to work...

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no variable x to take the limit of.
Note that in
[tex]
\int_a^b \! f(c+x) \, dx,
[/tex]
x is a dummy variable. When you evaluate the integral, you will get something which doesn't depend on x anymore, just on - in this case - a, b and c.

It's like asking, what happens when you take the limit of x -> 0 of 1/2, and wondering why Maple still gives 1/2.

Hi again,

im still a bit puzzled by this. what happens when
\int f(c+x)h(x)dx is the according integral? Consider f and h to be pdfs.

thanks again

more detailed i got a probability:

P=[tex]\int_{a}^{b}f(c+x)h(x)dx/(\int f(c+x)h(x)dx)[/tex]

I was now told that as x approaches zero the denominator approaches one because we can eliminate the resulting f(c)...

or is it just a misstatement?

Note that [tex] x [/tex] is a dummy variable in the integral.

Equivalently, writing as follows may make it clearer:
[tex] \lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \int_{a}^{b} f(c + x) dx = \lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \int_{a}^{b} f(c + y) dy [/tex]

That's why "there is no [tex] x [/tex] for you to take limit".

Or, loosely speaking, after performing integration, you will "remove the dependence of the integrator variable, leaving the integral depending on the upper and lower bound", i.e. [tex] \int_{a}^{b} f(x)dx = g(a,b) [/tex].

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

1. What is the limit of an integrand?

The limit of an integrand is the value that the integrand approaches as the independent variable approaches a certain value.

2. How is the limit of an integrand calculated?

The limit of an integrand can be calculated using various methods, such as algebraic manipulation, substitution, or the use of L'Hopital's rule.

3. Why is the limit of an integrand important?

The limit of an integrand is important because it helps determine the behavior of the integrand at a certain point and can provide valuable information about the overall integral.

4. Can the limit of an integrand exist even if the function is not continuous?

Yes, the limit of an integrand can exist even if the function is not continuous. This is because the limit is concerned with the behavior of the function as the independent variable approaches a certain value, not necessarily the actual value at that point.

5. How does the limit of an integrand relate to the Riemann integral?

The limit of an integrand is a key concept in the Riemann integral, as it is used to define the upper and lower sums that are used to approximate the area under a curve. The limit of these sums as the partition size approaches zero gives the exact value of the Riemann integral.