How can I build a sound controlled LED circuit without a programmed chip?

In summary, the person is trying to build a circuit that should receive sound input and based on the output voltage, light up a certain number of LED's. For example, if the sound is low it should light one LED, and if it's very high 3 LED's. They have tried different setups without luck so far and are looking for advice on how to make the circuit without a programmed chip. They have also used an amplifier to increase the gain of the electret mic before connecting it to the circuit. Finally, they mention that they would need to rectify the input and that the chips are available from some online retailers.
ulverbeast
Hey.

I am currently working on building a circuit that should receive sound input from an electret mic, and then based on the output voltage, light up a certain number of LED's. For example, if the sound is low it should light one LED, and if it's very high 3 LED's. I imagine that 3 LED's total is a good number.

I have tried different setups with no luck so far. Does anybody here have any experience with a build like this, and is it possible to make without a programmed chip?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF ulverbeast.

Is this a school project? What you are trying to put together is called a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VU_meter" .

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello.

Yes, that is what I am trying to make, it is however, not a school project.

Thanks for your suggestion, I found a circuit though that'll do the trick.

http://www.discovercircuits.com/PDF-FILES/voltst1.pdf"

The only problem I have now is that I don't know how to connect the electret mic to the circuit, at the voltage input. Anybody that knows?

Edit: What I need is just to connect the electret microphone to the circuit, so that when it receives sound input, it'll send a DC current with varying voltage into the circuit.

[PLAIN]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4222062/microphone%20amplifier.PNG

This amplifier gives a gain of about 70, depending on the transistor used.
It can give about 2 volts from an electret microphone.
I have used it many times and it works well.

The data sheets for the LM3914 and LM3915 LED driver chips say it is OK to apply an AC signal to pin 5 of these chips (the normal input) as long as the signal does not exceed 35 volts positive or negative.
This means you don't need to rectify the signal before using it. Rectifying it would raise problems of losing some of the signal across diodes.

So, you could just take the signal from the microphone amplifier above, directly to pin 5 of a LM3914 or LM3915, and then drive LEDs with it.

Do you think I could connect that amplifier circuit to the circuit I posted previously, with the LM339 operational amplifiers, instead of an LM3914/5?

The circuit you posted uses two voltage dividers (made with 1% resistors) to set a high limit of 5.2 volts and a low limit of 4.8 volts. So with a 2 volt max. input, the LOW LED would always be on.

Yes, that is right. You would really want all the lights to go off if there was no sound.
Also, you would probably need to rectify the input.

Radio Shack, Fry's and Sparkfun don't carry the LM3914/5 but Futurlec have them for US$1.75.

Maybe they are becoming rare, but they are great chips if you can find them.

What is a sound controlled LED circuit?

A sound controlled LED circuit is an electronic circuit that uses sound waves to control the intensity or pattern of LED lights. This allows for a dynamic and interactive lighting display.

How does a sound controlled LED circuit work?

A sound controlled LED circuit typically consists of a microphone to detect sound, an amplifier to amplify the sound signal, a microcontroller to process the signal, and an LED driver to control the LED lights. The microcontroller analyzes the sound signal and sends a corresponding signal to the LED driver, which adjusts the LED lights accordingly.

What are the applications of a sound controlled LED circuit?

A sound controlled LED circuit can be used for various purposes, such as in music concerts, stage performances, parties, and home decorations. It can also be used as an educational tool to demonstrate the principles of sound and electronics.

What are the advantages of using a sound controlled LED circuit?

One of the main advantages of a sound controlled LED circuit is its ability to create a visually appealing and interactive display. It also offers a hands-free control option, making it convenient for performers or users who want to control the lights without using their hands.

Are there any limitations to using a sound controlled LED circuit?

One limitation of a sound controlled LED circuit is that it may be affected by background noise, which can interfere with the sound signal and affect the LED lights. It also requires a power source to operate, which may limit its use in certain settings.