Electrostatic Potential Energy

In summary: So in summary, the work required to exchange the positions of q2 and q3 is equal to the difference in total potential energy between the initial configuration and the final configuration, which can be found by calculating the potential energy between each pair of charges and summing them up.
quebecois22

Homework Statement

How much work is required to exchange the positions of q2 and q3?

q2 q3

q1

q1 and q2 are separated by a distance of 4.00 cm and q2 and q3 are separated by a distance of 2.00cm

The charge on q1 is 5.00nC, q2 is -5.00nC and q3 is 10.0nC

Homework Equations

U=(K(q2)(q3))/(r23) (#1)
U=qV (#2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the energy required to hold these charges at their positions is equation 1, my guess to simply found the energy holding the charges and that would be the energy required to move them... Guess I'm wrong... :blushing:

Any help is appreciated...

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you help us picture the charge configuration? I'm guessing they're all lying on the same line but can you clarify this for me. How are they oriented with respect to each other?

Work is just the change in potential energy. So just find the difference in the final and initial total potential energies.

So write down the initial total potential energy and the final total potential energy.

@CanIExplore:

They're positioned just like in my first post: q2 directly over q1 and q3 directly across q2.

Thx for your input,

@nickjer: Aren't both potential energies equal? I mean at the end the only difference is that they switched places...

If the concept of moving the charges around in an existing field is confusing you, try moving them to infinity and then back into their new positions and consider the work you're doing.

quebecois22 the distance between charges q1 and q2 will change, as well as q1 and q3. So the total potential energy will change.

I am completely lost...

I don't know how to take q1 into account... how does it behave on the two charges?

The total potential energy of 3 particles is just [itex]U_{12} + U_{23} + U_{13}[/itex]. You can probably find that in your book.

Ah so the final and initial potential energies will vary according to the distances between them...
So delta U is the energy required to shift q2 & q3 places?

You want to find the different in total potential energy when you switch q2 and q3. It shouldn't be 0, unless q2=q3 or the distance between q1 and q2 is the same as between q1 and q3.

Yeah it's not so the difference won't yield zero...
So this difference in potential energies is the energy required to shift those two charges?

Yes, since this is a conservative force.

What is electrostatic potential energy?

Electrostatic potential energy is the energy stored in an object due to its position in an electric field. It is the potential energy that a charged object possesses by virtue of its position relative to other charged objects or within an electric field.

How is electrostatic potential energy calculated?

Electrostatic potential energy is calculated using the equation U = k(q1q2)/r, where U is the potential energy, k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

What factors affect the magnitude of electrostatic potential energy?

The magnitude of electrostatic potential energy is affected by the amount of charge on the objects, the distance between them, and the medium between the objects. The greater the distance, the smaller the potential energy, and the greater the charge, the larger the potential energy.

Can electrostatic potential energy be negative?

Yes, electrostatic potential energy can be negative. This occurs when the two charged objects have opposite charges and are attracted to each other. In this case, the potential energy is negative because energy is released when the objects come together.

What is the relationship between electrostatic potential energy and work?

Electrostatic potential energy and work are closely related. Work is required to move a charged object against an electric field, which increases its potential energy. Conversely, when a charged object moves with the electric field, work is done by the electric field and the potential energy decreases.