Calculate the mass of unknown nucleus

In summary, for finding the mass of the unknown nucleus using Newton's Gravitational law, we need to use the equation F = G\frac{m_1 m_2}{r^2} and rearrange it to solve for one of the masses. The magnitude of the gravitational force between the hydrogen nucleus and the 'unknown' nucleus is given, and using the values of the electric and gravitational constants, we can calculate the mass of the unknown nucleus necessary to produce this force. The calculated value should be negative, indicating that the force is attractive.
james11
OK having a slight problem finding the mass of the unknown nucleus.

Any help rearranging to find this using Newton's Gravitational law.

A hydrogen nucleus and a nucleus of an ‘unknown’ atom are stationary, 5.0 x 10 ^-10 m apart. The mass of the hydrogen nucleus is mh = 1.7 x 10 - 27kg and the electric charge of the hydrogen nucleus is e = 1.6 x 10 ^-19 C. You may assume that the electric constant ke, = 9.0 x 10^9N m2 C-2 and that the gravitational constant G = 6.7 x 10^-11N m2 kg -2.

The magnitude of the gravitational force between the hydrogen nucleus and the ‘unknown’ nucleus is 9.3 x 10 ^-45 N. State whether this force is attractive or repulsive. Calculate the mass of the ‘unknown’ nucleus that is necessary to give a force of this magnitude.

Thanks in advance

any help would be great!

J

Physics news on Phys.org
There are many other parts to the question that i have worked . I just need help on rearranging the equation for this part.

james11 said:
There are many other parts to the question that i have worked . I just need help on rearranging the equation for this part.
I assume you know Newton's law of gravity:
[tex]F = G\frac{m_1 m_2}{r^2}[/tex]

This can be rearranged to solve for one of the masses:
[tex]m_2 = \frac{F r^2}{G m_1}[/tex]

Yes I know Newtons Law. I already rearranged to this equation but my figures don't seem to add up.

I have tried a few times now with my calculator and i was missing a minus sign on one the powers.

I have solved the problem

Thanks for your help

1. How do you calculate the mass of an unknown nucleus?

The mass of an unknown nucleus can be calculated using the formula: mass number = number of protons + number of neutrons. The mass number is the total number of protons and neutrons in the nucleus, which can be determined using a mass spectrometer.

2. What is a mass spectrometer and how does it work?

A mass spectrometer is a scientific instrument used to measure the mass of atoms or molecules. It works by ionizing a sample, separating the ions based on their mass-to-charge ratio, and then detecting and measuring the resulting ions. From this data, the mass number of the unknown nucleus can be calculated.

3. Why is it important to calculate the mass of unknown nuclei?

The mass of an unknown nucleus is important for understanding the structure and properties of an atom, as well as for applications in fields such as nuclear physics and chemistry. It can also help identify the type of element present in a sample.

4. Can the mass of an unknown nucleus change?

Yes, the mass of an unknown nucleus can change through processes such as radioactive decay, fusion, and fission. These changes can result in the formation of new elements or isotopes with different mass numbers.

5. Are there any limitations to calculating the mass of an unknown nucleus?

There are some limitations to calculating the mass of an unknown nucleus, as it can be difficult to accurately measure the mass of very small or unstable nuclei. In addition, the calculations may be affected by experimental errors or uncertainties in the data.