Coloumb's constant and the Gravitational constant

In summary, Coloumb's constant and the Gravitational constant are both fundamental physical constants that play a significant role in understanding and predicting the behavior of electric and gravitational forces. Coloumb's constant, represented by the symbol k, is a proportionality constant that relates the force between two charged particles to their charges and distance. The Gravitational constant, represented by the symbol G, is a constant that defines the strength of the gravitational force between two objects with mass. Both constants have been extensively studied and measured, and their precise values are crucial in many areas of physics, including electromagnetism and astrophysics.
diagopod
I'm trying to learn more about the differences and similarities b/w electrostatics and gravitation. Ke and G seem structurally similar, but while Ke can be broken down into 1 / 4 pi Epsilon0, I was wondering if there is a similar sub-structure for G? Is there any unit in gravitation analogous to Epsilon0 such that it makes sense to write 1/ 4 pi (constant here) = G?

Physics news on Phys.org
Factoring Ke as 17(4 pi epsilon0) is matter of convenience. This way Gauss' law takes a simple form. However the physical meaning is the same. On the other hand, there's no need to break down G to simplify some equation

diagopod said:
I'm trying to learn more about the differences and similarities b/w electrostatics and gravitation. Ke and G seem structurally similar, but while Ke can be broken down into 1 / 4 pi Epsilon0, I was wondering if there is a similar sub-structure for G? Is there any unit in gravitation analogous to Epsilon0 such that it makes sense to write 1/ 4 pi (constant here) = G?

Seems like we just answered this a few days ago with no response from the poster...
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=405175
...are you the same poster?

Creator said:
Seems like we just answered this a few days ago with no response from the poster...
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=405175
...are you the same poster?

Nope, but thanks for the link. It looks like that particular poster seems to think that G can be derived. I'm aware that G is an empirical constant. What I was curious about was whether there was a more fundamental (albeit still empirical) constant inside of G that had the same relation to G that Epsilon0 has to Ke. But either way, the thread you're pointing me to clarifies that pretty well, and it does seem like there's a special case in GR where there is an "Epsilon (g)" as you point out. And in that case it seems it's reversed, where G has the same relationship to another constant e(g) that Epsilon0 has to Ke. Anyway, learning...

diagopod said:
Nope, but thanks for the link. It looks like that particular poster seems to think that G can be derived. I'm aware that G is an empirical constant. What I was curious about was whether there was a more fundamental (albeit still empirical) constant inside of G that had the same relation to G that Epsilon0 has to Ke.

Hi diagopod;
Historically, there have been a number of attempts at analytic expressions for G which usually reflect an attempt to unify EM and gravitation.
Here's a good review of some... http://www.konfluence.org/CalculatingG.pdf

Personally, if forced to choose, I favor Sakharov.

Creator

Last edited:

What is Coloumb's constant and the Gravitational constant?

Coloumb's constant (k) and the Gravitational constant (G) are fundamental physical constants that relate to the force of attraction between two charged particles and two massive objects, respectively.

What is the value of Coloumb's constant and the Gravitational constant?

The value of Coloumb's constant is approximately 8.99 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2, and the value of the Gravitational constant is approximately 6.67 x 10^-11 Nm^2/kg^2. These values are used in various equations to calculate the force of attraction between charged particles and massive objects.

How are Coloumb's constant and the Gravitational constant related?

Coloumb's constant and the Gravitational constant are related through the principle of proportionality. This means that as the distance between two charged particles or massive objects increases, the force of attraction between them decreases. Additionally, both constants play a crucial role in determining the strength of these forces.

What is the significance of Coloumb's constant and the Gravitational constant in physics?

Coloumb's constant and the Gravitational constant are essential in understanding and predicting the behavior of charged particles and massive objects, respectively. They are used in various equations in fields such as electromagnetism and astrophysics to calculate the force of attraction between objects and the resulting effects.

Are Coloumb's constant and the Gravitational constant ever changing?

Currently, there is no evidence to suggest that Coloumb's constant and the Gravitational constant vary over time or location. They are considered to be universal constants that remain constant throughout the universe. However, some theories suggest that they may vary in extreme conditions, such as in the early stages of the universe or near black holes.