Inrease in water pressure as a function of temperature under constant volume

In summary: You need to use a steam table to find the pressure increase due to a temperature increase. You do this by finding the heat transferred to the water (using the mass and specific heat capacity). As no work is being done (from the first law) we know that all internal energy comes from transferred heat. You can then look up from a steam table the pressure.
ageorgakis
Hi all. I have a large pipe network that can hold say 1000 cubic meters of water. The pipe network is closed and pressurized to say 10 barg at 25 deg C. If the temperature of the water increases to 55 deg C, how much will the pressure in the pipe network increase?

I would appreciate if you could point out the method of solving the problem including tables and formulas.

Thanks.

Science news on Phys.org
This ia a job for steam tables and the first law of thermo and possibly a H-S chart.

The water is between 25 to 55 degC so I don't think the steam tables or the thermo laws will do any good. This is a pressure vs temp vs volume problem. if it was a gas then a simple ideal gas law would work.

ageorgakis said:
The water is between 25 to 55 degC so I don't think the steam tables or the thermo laws will do any good. This is a pressure vs temp vs volume problem. if it was a gas then a simple ideal gas law would work.

Steam tables, in an odd use of the nomenclature, include compressed liquid water. No idea why they are still called steam tables but they are.

You came and asked the question as to how to solve is. I've told you. It's water, therefore you use the steam tables, there is no debate about that. You find the heat transferred to the water (using the mass and specific heat capacity). As no work is being done (from the first law) we know that all internal energy comes from transferred heat. You can then look up from a steam table the pressure.

I've not used steam tables or done anything with thermodynamics of fluids in quite a while (since uni in fact), I can't remember exactly what you have to do i'll have to read up for that.

Last edited:
xxChrisxx said:
Steam tables, in an odd use of the nomenclature, include compressed liquid water. No idea why they are still called steam tables but they are.

You came and asked the question as to how to solve is. I've told you. It's water, therefore you use the steam tables, there is no debate about that. You find the heat transferred to the water (using the mass and specific heat capacity). As no work is being done (from the first law) we know that all internal energy comes from transferred heat. You can then look up from a steam table the pressure.

I've not used steam tables or done anything with thermodynamics of fluids in quite a while (since uni in fact), I can't remember exactly what you have to do i'll have to read up for that.

It's been such a long time since uni I can barely remember any of this. I wish I had my old books. I'm doing some research on the net but it isn't easy.

1. How does water pressure change with temperature?

The pressure of water increases as the temperature increases, assuming that the volume remains constant. This is due to the thermal expansion of water, which causes the molecules to move faster and take up more space.

2. What is the relationship between water pressure and temperature?

The relationship between water pressure and temperature is directly proportional, meaning that as one increases, the other also increases. This is known as Charles' Law, which states that at a constant volume, the pressure and temperature of a gas (or liquid) are directly proportional.

3. Why does water pressure increase with temperature under constant volume?

This phenomenon can be explained by the Ideal Gas Law, which states that the pressure of a gas (or liquid) is directly proportional to its temperature, assuming that the volume and number of molecules remain constant. As the temperature increases, the molecules gain more kinetic energy and collide with each other more frequently, resulting in an increase in pressure.

4. How does the increase in water pressure with temperature affect its properties?

The increase in water pressure with temperature can affect its physical and chemical properties. For example, the solubility of gases in water decreases as temperature increases due to the decrease in water's ability to hold onto dissolved gases. Additionally, the boiling point of water increases with an increase in pressure, which is why it takes longer to boil water at high altitudes.

5. Can the increase in water pressure with temperature be reversed?

Yes, the increase in water pressure with temperature can be reversed by decreasing the temperature. As the temperature decreases, the molecules lose kinetic energy and move closer together, resulting in a decrease in pressure. This is why cold water takes up less space than hot water.