Gravity and Weight: How Do They Compare on Different Planets?

In summary, the question is asking how the weight of an object with a mass of 25kg on Earth would compare to its weight on Venus, where the acceleration due to gravity is 8.8m/s^2. The answer depends on the angle of inclination of the inclined plane and the friction between the plane and the object. The weight of an object is calculated by multiplying its mass by the acceleration due to gravity. Therefore, the weight on Venus may be greater, equal to, or less than its weight on Earth depending on these factors.
blackrose01
"weight" problem (conceptual)

Homework Statement

an object has a mass of 25kg on Earth. If the same object is moved to an inclined plane in Venus, where the acceleration due to gravity is 8.8m/s^2, how does its weight compare to when it was still on earth??

a. Wvenus > Wearth
b. Wvenus = Wearth
c. Wvenus < Wearth
d. it depends on the angle of inclination of the inclined plane in venus
e. it depends on the friction between the plane and the object

Homework Equations

W = mg

The Attempt at a Solution

i'm not sure whether the angle of inclination is to be used here

i think it's C :p not sure though

Physics news on Phys.org

What do you think? :smile:

i think it's C...?

Why? :smile:

ok last time i got in trouble for just giving an answer so i'll try my best not to give it away here. How do gravity and weight relate? w=mg . . . so what happens to weight after you you change gravity (on Earth its 9.8 and on venus its different), how are they related to one another? :)

1. What is weight problem?

Weight problem refers to the condition of having excess body weight or being overweight. It is usually determined by calculating the body mass index (BMI), which takes into account a person's height and weight.

2. What causes weight problems?

There are multiple factors that can contribute to weight problems, including genetics, lifestyle choices, and underlying health conditions. Consuming a diet high in calories and being physically inactive are common causes of weight gain.

3. How can weight problems be prevented?

Maintaining a healthy and balanced diet, engaging in regular physical activity, and managing stress levels are effective ways to prevent weight problems. It is also important to consult a healthcare professional for personalized advice.

4. What are the health risks associated with weight problems?

Carrying excess weight can increase the risk of various health conditions, such as heart disease, diabetes, and certain types of cancer. It can also lead to joint problems, sleep apnea, and mental health issues.

5. How can weight problems be managed?

Weight problems can be managed through lifestyle changes, such as following a healthy diet and exercise plan. In some cases, medication or weight-loss surgery may be recommended. Consulting a healthcare professional can help determine the best approach for managing weight problems.