Cartesian equation for the Magnetic field resulting from a single current loop?

In summary, Kilian was trying to convert a complex cylindrical equation to Cartesian coordinates, but was having problems. He was able to solve the equation using Mathematica, but was wondering if there was a way to expand the rc unit vector into x and y parts.
kilianod5150
Hello

I am carrying out some analysis on the magnetic field generated over a 3D region by a single current loop. The present form of the equations is in cylindrical coordinates and is as follows
[tex]\vec{B}[/tex]={Brc,0,Bz}
There is no angular component in this present from.
Note: The following website contains the formulas in question:
http://www.netdenizen.com/emagnet/offaxis/iloopoffaxis.htm

My question is as follows. How could one convert a complex cylindrical equation such as this to Cartesian coordinates? The main aim of this is to plot the fields in Matlab, if the equations were in cartesian form it would simply greatly my analysis.

The main problem I seem to encounter is that since there is no angle component, using conversions such as x=r*cos(theta) and y=r*sin(theta) do n0t seem to make sense as it would imply that there is only an x component and no y component.

I tried using Mathematica to convert the equations using the ConvertToCartesian command to no avail.

Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Kilian

Physics news on Phys.org
Just use [tex]r=\sqrt{x^2 + y^2}[/tex].

Thanks for the reply, I had thought of using that but i still have the problem where there is no y component of the magnetic field.
In other words converting B(rc,phi,z)=(Brc(rc,theta,z),0,Bz(rc,theta,z)) would result in B(x,y,z)=(Bx(x,y,z),0,Bz(x,y,z)). The By(x,y,z) component is zero, is this correct? Or is there a way to expand the rc unit vector into x and y parts?

Dear Kilian,

Thank you for your question. Converting equations from cylindrical coordinates to Cartesian coordinates can be tricky, especially when there is no angular component involved. However, it is not impossible.

One approach you can take is to use the conversion equations for cylindrical to Cartesian coordinates, which are:

x = r cosθ
y = r sinθ
z = z

In your case, since there is no angular component, we can assume that θ = 0. This means that the equations would simplify to:

x = r
y = 0
z = z

Now, for the magnetic field equation, we can substitute the values for x and y into the cylindrical equation to get:

\vec{B}={Brc,0,Bz} = {Bx,By,Bz}

This means that the magnetic field in Cartesian coordinates would be:

\vec{B}={Bx,0,Bz}

As you can see, the y component is now equal to 0, which makes sense since there is no angular component in the original equation.

I hope this helps with your analysis and plotting in Matlab. If you encounter any further difficulties, I would suggest consulting with a mathematician or physicist who specializes in electromagnetism for further assistance.

Best of luck with your research.

Sincerely,

What is the Cartesian equation for the Magnetic field resulting from a single current loop?

The Cartesian equation for the Magnetic field resulting from a single current loop is B = (μ₀I)/(4πr) * (3cosθ * r̂ + sinθ * θ̂), where B is the magnetic field, μ₀ is the permeability of free space, I is the current, r is the distance from the center of the loop, θ is the angle between the axis of the loop and the point where the magnetic field is being measured, r̂ is the unit vector in the direction of r, and θ̂ is the unit vector in the direction of θ.

What is the significance of the Cartesian equation for the Magnetic field resulting from a single current loop?

The Cartesian equation for the Magnetic field resulting from a single current loop is significant because it allows us to calculate the magnetic field at any point in space surrounding the loop. This equation is also important in understanding the behavior of magnetic fields and their effects on charged particles.

How is the Cartesian equation for the Magnetic field resulting from a single current loop derived?

The Cartesian equation for the Magnetic field resulting from a single current loop is derived from the Biot-Savart Law, which states that the magnetic field at a point is directly proportional to the current and inversely proportional to the distance from the current element. By integrating the contributions of all the current elements in the loop, we can arrive at the Cartesian equation.

What factors affect the strength of the Magnetic field resulting from a single current loop?

The strength of the Magnetic field resulting from a single current loop is affected by the current flowing through the loop, the distance from the loop, and the angle between the axis of the loop and the point where the field is being measured. The permeability of the medium surrounding the loop also plays a role in determining the strength of the magnetic field.

How can the Cartesian equation for the Magnetic field resulting from a single current loop be applied in real-life situations?

The Cartesian equation for the Magnetic field resulting from a single current loop can be applied in various real-life situations, such as in the design of electromagnets and in understanding the behavior of magnetic fields in electric motors and generators. It is also used in medical imaging techniques, such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and in the construction of particle accelerators.